MacbookPro 2010 13 Bootcamp Problem Video

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wcalderini, Aug 28, 2010.

1. wcalderini macrumors member

Purchased a Macbook Pro 13 2.4/250/320M a week ago.
    All seemed well. Upgraded to a 750GB WD hard drive, added a 4GB ram chip to bring the total to 6GB Ram.
    Although I had a little trouble restoring from a Time Machine backup, eventually all was working well.
    Used BootCamp to install Windows 7 64 OEM.
    The install went well. Booted up into windows fine, installed all updates and all Bootcamp drivers from the MacBook pro install disk.
    The problem.
    Any type of GPU intensive access causes the windows 7 to freak out.
    Torn Screen. Screen Blackout. Sound Screeches.
    Any type of game causes it to freak out.
    Have installed, reinstalled, about 4 times. Re-partitioning and everything.
    I thought it may be a hardware problem but the same Games, WoW, Starcraft 2, Sims 3, all run normally under OSX.
    Tried uninstalling/reinstalling the Nvidia 320M driver to no avail.

Is it POSSIBLE that I do have a damaged vid chip, and that Win 7 is just more sensitive to it?

Any advice will be appreciated.
    I did search the forums a bit but found nothing exactly like the problem I have here.

Thanks in advance.

WRC

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

You said that you install the Boot Camp drivers from the Snow Leopard disc. There are more updated Boot Camp (3.1) drivers which officially support Windows 7. Install those and see if that corrects the problem.

3. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Yeah, this is what I did, helped me.

4. wcalderini thread starter macrumors member

Actually the BootCamp Driver/Version that came with the install disk were more recent than what Apple had posted on their site.
    (But I DID think that might have been the problem so on one of my many re-installs, I used the most recent from the Apple Site)
    It is very confusing as if it IS a hardware problem, I want to go ahead and try to get a replacement.

WRC

5. wcalderini thread starter macrumors member

Solution

Oh well.
    Live and learn.
    After way too many re-installs of Bootcamp and Windows, it seems it was an "iffy" ram module after all.(4GB OCZ) Although the Ram passed BOTH the hardware tests from Apple and Windows.
    On a lark, I mean sheer desperation, I went ahead and put back the 2GB stick that shipped with the MacBook.
    All seems to be running smoothly now.
    I guess OSX, where I was having few problems, is more tolerant to Ram Specs than windows 7. Oh well. Guess I'm on the phone with new egg for a replacement tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice.

WRC

6. whyrichard macrumors 68000

i am also having problems with my win 7 bootcamp install on an early 2010 13" macbook pro. Rhino 4 is almost unusable for 3d modeling...

i can't find anyone else with a similar problem... really was the ram for you?

thanks,
    r.