Macbookpro 2011 suddenly stopped working..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dizzypink, May 15, 2012.

1. dizzypink macrumors newbie

Hi

Last night while browsing the web as usual on my 2011 macbookpro running lion (bought in August 2011) it suddenly froze so i held down the power to do a restart but when it started back up it made the "on" sound gets to the apple on the screen then it just switched itself off? it was quite late at night so i thought it might be a battery problem i left it on charge all night and brought it to work the next day tried switching it on again and it did the same thing it was def fully charged as when plugged in the light was green i tried a different charger just incase it was the problem and the same thing again turns on gets to the "apple" screen and switches off.

I tried the start up thing where you get the black screen and it tells you all the information it runs but then when it the part it says:

Continuing
    done
    cpu haulted
    airport: down on reason 8: (DIsassocited because staion leaving)

it switches itself off again.

Sorry for my crap explanation im not knowledgeable at the running of macs.

Help would be much appreciated.. its still under warrenty but would be good if i could fix it without sending it off for repairs..

Thanks
    Rhian

2. Anthony81586 macrumors regular

Luckily you're still under the 1-year free AppleCare. Take it in ASAP, for it to fail like that the HDD is either gone or the logic board is gone. That's my guess but I'm no "genius". Take it in though for sure.

Hopefully you've backed everything up recently.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

4. dizzypink thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou kindly for the replies, unfortunately i had not backed everything up as i hardly used the laptop for my design work until recently (plus seeing how new it was i didn't think i would need to lesson learnt)
    Im guessing the chances are that i have lost everything on there..

In regard to taking it in for repair, whats the procedure should i drive it to my local apple store or ring them up?

Thanks
    Rhian

5. Anthony81586 macrumors regular

You can go online to apple.com and setup a genius bar appointment online then go to that store at your scheduled time. Or, you can just go down there with your device and just wait, either they will have an opening or you'll have to wait for one. The appointment is the better option, unless you're bored.

6. dizzypink thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help, Im so glad its still under warrenty

7. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

You will probably still be able to access data on the hard drive. If you are hearing the drive make a bunch of unusual clicking sounds, then I might be worried about that, but it would be pretty rare for a drive to fail and not be readable at all when it's that new. Possible, but not likely.

8. dizzypink thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou for your reply, Its not making and weird sounds luckily!

9. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Are you able to boot to the recovery partition?