MacBookPro Alu 2008 Graphics kernel panic help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arkade, Jan 30, 2016.

1. arkade macrumors newbie

I have an A1260 MacbookPro. It's an old model and I think it is suffering from a graphics chip problem and was hoping someone can confirm from the crash report I managed to snap before it shut down again...I have attached the photo I took, sorry its overexposed but you can still read what it says. IMG_20160131_011711.jpg

The screen goes crazy colours and/or pixelated and becomes impossible to use, usually straight after boot.

Please let me know if you can decipher what this crash report means. Thank you so much :)

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

There's not much that you would need to decipher. The hardware problem that you have likely says it all
    And, a few lines from your picture
    com.apple.nvidia ....
    com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSuppport...
    com.apple.iokit.IOGrphicsFamily...
    com.apple.nvidia.classic/NVDAResmanTesla
    etc.

most (maybe all) of those are connected in some way with the graphics chip, which makes sense with what you see briefly on the screen.
    The graphics chip is failing.
    If you want to try something, you can search for "reflow logic board on MacBook Pro".
    Basically removing the logic board, and putting it in a warm oven for an hour or two.
    It's a hobby fix that helps some (not in all cases)
    Re-phrasing - fixing means replacing the logic board.

3. arkade thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your response. This had been my conclusion but I just wanted to check before I went cooking things! :)

Bit worried about putting the logic board in the oven...

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Google the steps, and see the details, that way you'll have a better understanding of the process.

The alternative is to just throw the computer away (I think the 2008 model is beyond Apple's repair window).

5. arkade thread starter macrumors newbie

I've seen some steps utilising a heat gun and protecting the rest of the board with foil. I think I'll go this route since it will give a better feeling of control. Fingers crossed I don't destroy the board! Any tips greatly appreciated.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Tbh, I think an oven can work better as it will reflow the entire board, but then I've done nether.

Good luck

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your board's already shot, you can't really make it any worse.

Have at it.

8. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I've successfully reflowed a couple 8600M GT chips using a heat gun and some foil to protect it. It'll work if done right, but it very likely won't last long. Long enough to export application licenses or something if you need to, but that's about it. It might go a day, a week, maybe a month but it will die again. Just how they are unless you get it completely reflowed with new solder but that would be cost prohibitive at this point.

Just take your time during disassembly/reassembly and make sure the chip is completely clean and you have new thermal paste to put on it. Like some AS5 etc. Then use a fan control app to keep the RPMs a bit higher to keep it cool. Should last a bit.

9. arkade thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers folks. I successfully used a heat gun, although we shall see how long it lasts! Thanks all for your help :)

10. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

All reports suggest a few months and you may get away with the same fix a couple more times before it is dead I would start putting away money for a new computer now if I as you.