MacbookPro Bad battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by S2NINJA, Feb 6, 2008.

1. S2NINJA macrumors member

S2NINJA

Hi guys,

I know there are a million threads about battery health, and whatnot, but I guess i just want to make sure i have something before i try to call apple.

anyway, I have a 2nd gen (non SR) MBP (2.16, 15"... see sig). and i've had it for 15 months.

when i first got it, the battery would last 3 - 3.5 hours on a full charge. (wifi on, bt off, brightness 50%). now, after only 73 cycles, it fluctuates between 50-75% battery health (after calibration), and gives me only 2:15 max... right now it's at 80% health, but that never stays stable for long...

after reading a lot of threads about other's w/ bad batteries, i'm a bit confused as to if i should be concerned. some ppl who have got theirs replaced had it really bad.. others, not so much. Hence my confusion...

Is my battery faulty? or is it just going through it's normal life cycle.

So any thoughts or advice would be very welcome! please lend me some wisdom! thanks!
    ;)

2. luftwaffles08 macrumors newbie

This actually happened to me. I have the 2.33 15'' MBP and about a month ago it went from 89% Health to 50% over a matter of days. I only had 47 cycles so I knew this was a bit out of the ordinary. I took it to the Apple store, and apparently some of them have been experiencing Lithium-Ion cells dying prematurely. As my apple genuis said, "it seems some of them packed up and went home."

If you have Applecare, they'll replace it free of charge. Luckily for me, they had an extra brand new battery in stock. They just check your System Profiler for the Battery and see if the health doesn't correlate with the number of cycles.

Good luck with it, it seems like they understand that it's a limited problem.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I was experiencing poor battery life on my 2.33GHz 15" MBP as well. Recently decided enough was enough -- called Apple, read them a few stats for the power section of system profiler, and they replaced my battery.

4. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

Hmm seems like I am having the same problem. Purchased a SR MBP (15" 2.4Ghz) Around New Years, and I remember seeing battery health at 95%. Today the thing shut off on me when the battery gauge said I had 45 minutes left. Coconut battery says battery health is 36%!!! I am assuming I would have no problems getting this thing replaced?

5. S2NINJA thread starter macrumors member

S2NINJA

Just an update:

I called apple support today, and got my battery replaced! (they're sending me a new one)

because of the age of my mbp (15 months), i had to remind the apple rep that this was a battery issue, and apple has extended the warranty of the batteries to 2 years after purchase (i don't have apple care). But after that, it was smooth sailing.

pretty much the same experience as everyone else. They asked me the standard personal info (Name, serial number, etc) and they ask you to read out the battery info from the system profiler. After that they check your battery version (1.3 in my case).

So overall a pretty good experience w/ apple support. the rep was a little full of himself, but like i said, it was a pretty smooth transaction. so no more complaints here! :D

thanks guys for giving me a hand! ;)