MacBookPro battery charging question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by improvpaul, Nov 29, 2008.

1. improvpaul macrumors newbie

I checked out Apples page descirbing how you should take care of your notebook properly and they said they suggest not keeping it plugged in all the time.
    My MBP which I just got will be my main at home computer... how do you guys suggest I go about charging it...
    Is it bad to charge, disconnect when full, drain, connect again, repeat a couple times a day?

thanks

paul

2. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

You should cycle the battery at least 2 times a month, but honestly, just use however you like. I don't pay any special attention to my battery (It's plugged in except when I'm at school) and it has great health (102%).

3. improvpaul thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you.

what's the health % and how do I check this out?

4. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Wow! 102%?

Click on the battery icon in the menubar>Show>Percentage.

5. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

That shows how much charge is in the battery, not what it's health is.

To see the health as a percentage I use the iStat Pro widget for dashboard. My battery on my Macbook shows as 100% with 224 cycles. In System Profiler under Power you can see a 'Condition' field which states 'Good' on my system right now. It also shows the charge remaining and the full charge capacity in mah, which is used to create the percentage health some other apps show.

6. MarkMS macrumors 6502a

Ah, my bad! Thanks for correcting me.

7. improvpaul thread starter macrumors newbie

8. DAAAAAAAVE macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

you can also use coconutBattery which seems to be what everyone on here is using when asking for battery health. Just google it. It is a good little program

9. Shawn Parr macrumors regular

http://islayer.com/apps/istatpro/

I like this widget a lot as it shows CPU load, memory usage, drive stats, network stats, fan and heat, plus running apps and such, all in one not terribly resource intensive widget.

10. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I use coconut battery, but it doesn't give a percentage if it is above 100%. It does give you the current mAh, and with that, you can calculate the percentage.

11. DAAAAAAAVE macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

How do you get health above 100%? I don't know much about batteries but logically wouldn't 100% = full health = best?

12. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

The health of a battery is its mili-amp hours (mAh). This fluctuates depending on how you use your battery. Apple states that the battery is 50 watt hours, and 10.8 volts. To convert this to mili-amp hours, you do this.

50Wh / 10.8V = 4.63 Ah
    4.63Ah = 4630mAh

Even though the math says it's 4630mAh, coconut battery says the original battery capacity is 4600mAh. Currently (according to coconut battery) my battery's mAh is 4702 which is about 102% of 4600.