MacBookPro battery discharges deeply, even when plugged in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JoeMerchant, Apr 4, 2008.

1. JoeMerchant macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 15" Intel MacBook Pro that is about 1.5 years old, I just replaced the original battery (which was at ~38% health after 126 discharges) because it would fully discharge during use, even when plugged in.

I hoped the new battery would solve the problem, but apparently not. When the system is plugged in on my work desk, the battery slowly, but continuously discharges (we're talking all the way to 0%), even though the on-screen power indicator shows plugged in. I suppose there's a fairly high load on the power system (wireless network, bluetooth keyboard and mouse, attached 24" monitor, and occasional 100% CPU utilization for 15-20 minutes at a shot), but it handled all this (and even a 30" monitor) fine for the previous year. The discharges have been accelerating for the past month, used to be it would get through 9 hours without reaching 0, but lately it's been going down faster and faster.

The problem started at about the same time that a high pitched whine started coming from the vicinity of the left speaker (only when AC power is plugged in). The charging plug light usually shows green (not orange), even while battery charge time is reported as "calculating".

The battery charges fully when the system is off, and while I believe a daily 30-45 minute break from computing is good, it's annoying to have to take it when the machine is tired instead of me.

Any suggestions? Our local applecare service center was clueless the last time I used them (and apparently recently went out of business as well). The notebook is out of warranty at this point, and I don't really want to lose use of it for any extended period.

2. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

Tried calling Apple direct? Might be another bad battery...if you just got the new one I would def. call whoever you got it from/makes it