MacbookPro boots to black screen HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by northernmunky, Feb 12, 2009.

1. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I have last generation Santa Rosa Macbook Pro

I've just reinstalled MacOS 10.5 for a bit of spring cleaning - all working fine no problems... I was restoring from my TimeMachine backup when suddenly it stopped copying sayting I didnt have sufficient privalages and whatnot...I knew an error had occurred because suddenly all the folders were showing empty and the drive wouldnt eject - I've had the problem happen before - put it aside as a bug and restarted to clear it.

Well when I restarted it stayed on a black screen although I could hear hard drive whirring...

I've tried
    1. Resetting PRAM - which it seems to do but still blank screen
    2. Holding down power button with battery removed
    3. Connecting to an external monitor
    4. Using original (10.4) system disk and holding down C for a diagnostic - which it seems to load but still blank screen.

I'm not convinced the OS is loading all the way if I leave it normally though - I have no password and should run straight into the OS but that doesnt appear to be happening? It just stays with the standby light on.

Does anyone know of any other tricks or is it a trip to the genius bar tomorrow?

Thanks for any replies... (and sorry for any spelling - I'm the missus' Windows laptop with no spellchecker!) :eek:

2. AliensExist4 macrumors member

3. P90Xfit macrumors regular

That is bad news indeed. This kind of stuff happened all the time to me..... on my PC, I would expect more from a Mac.

4. northernmunky thread starter macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

well, no joy, I even swapped the original ram in and no change
    You're right I suspect it's the 8600m issue again.

I've already had the mobo replaced once for that... Just before my battery exploded. Not having much luck with this one.

I miss my first PowerBook now, those powerpc's were solid - still going strong -but I gave it to my mum!

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Another nvidia victim, and yet there are still people out there that deny the problem is widespread.

6. animaxcg macrumors regular

you have a 2 year extended warranty on 8600. so take it to an apple store and they should fix it for free, unless it's more than 2 years or out of any other applecare