MacbookPro can't export external display well?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by machappyboy, Sep 21, 2010.

1. machappyboy macrumors member

MacbookPro can't export external display well?
    I have a new Macbook Pro 13 inch. When I use gmail, labels show up in beautiful colors on the screen. However, when I connect an external display (I tried three displays) the colors of the labels become almost invisible. When I try to calibrate with this card (http://www.camphotography.co.uk/calibration.gif) I can't see the boxes in the white strip on the right no matter how I set all three moniters (unless I go down to D50 yellow).

When I talked to the Genius Bar they said this is normal because the MacBook Pro doesn't have a good video card to run external displays and that the signal is a little weak from DVI to VGA so that color will be a little weaker. Is this true?

Has anyone bought a monitor that accurately reproduces color externally run from the MacBook Pro?

2. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

What 13" MBP do you have? I use an external monitor w/a hdmi adapter + DVI and the colors are as accurate as they are on the MBP screen.

3. x0r-lord macrumors member

accurately reproduces colour? your macbook doesn't accurately reproduce the colour in the first place. Gamut

Glossy displays are notoriously brutal for being inaccurate. designed instead to look better (brighter and more rich)

Did you mean the colours just look washed (less bright and less rich)?
    maybe you've gotten too used to LED backlighting? lol

I have a 15.4" with a 512MB 330M GT, and it puts the same colour quality out as my 13" 2009 unibody I sold to my sister 2 months ago. I used them both on the same external display, the only difference was speed (dedicated VRAM and GPU). the 15.4" external display says its dependant on the nvidia 330m (gfxCardStatus).

if you think the 13" is acting up, try it at the apple store on a cinema display and see what a LED display looks like for comparison. either way, you'll have to demonstrate the problem to them to get your replacement.

4. machappyboy thread starter macrumors member

Aoeboi,

What external monitor do you use? Can you see all the markings in this jpg? http://www.camphotography.co.uk/calibration.gif) I can't see any of the white boxes in the right column in my external monitor.

I have aMacBook Pro 13inch.
    hmmmmm

5. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

FWIW, I also have a 13" MBP 2010 and a 24" ACD and the colors are equally represented (obviously a wee more vibrant on the ACD). When I viewed your calibration gif, I could see those white markings. What 3 monitors are you connecting to?

6. machappyboy thread starter macrumors member

Yes, ACD seems to be fine. But View Sonic, LG, and Samsung couldn't show the white on the calibration .gif above, nor could they show the gmail labels.

Anyway use a non ACD? It's too expensive for me!

7. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

I can see all of those markings.

I have mine hooked up to a samsung but it displays just as well on my Dell and Acer monitor from my past experiences. Something's fishy about yours...

the dell is an ips panel but the samsung as well as the acer are cheapo monitors

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Have you even played with the contrast and brightness settings on your externals?

Your MBP is most likely just fine.