MacbookPro defective graphics - question regarding replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by coolbreeze, Jun 21, 2009.

  1. coolbreeze macrumors 65832

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2003
    Location:
    UT
    #1
    So I bought a top of the line Unibody MBP from Amazon on May 22nd (just before the refresh). Paid $2,446.98 for it. Yesterday I was having issues with the display, so I made an appointment to see the genius today. After discovering a hardware issue, the genius said he would just replace it with the newest gen Macbook Pro, since repairing it would take a long time (no logic boards in stock). He did mention that they don't normally do this if you buy from somewhere else (as I did from Amazon.com) but he would do the in-store replacement anyway.

    My concern is this...I paid $2,446.98 just 29 days ago. Now they are giving me a model that costs $2,299. The genius made a point to say "the newest gen is definitely an upgrade," possibly laying groundwork in case I point out the pricing difference. While I don't disagree that it's an upgrade, I am losing a replaceable battery and expresscard slot. Not to mention AAPL lowered the price on the latest gen.

    Should I:

    1. Request a refund for the difference ($147.98)
    2. Request a 17-inch model (mmmmm) and offer to pay the difference ($52.02)
    3. Suck it up and be happy they are helping me

    Please help. While I am happy they are addressing the issue on my 29 day old Macbook, I do feel like the Apple store is taking advantage of me b/c of the pricing discrepancy. I'd really like to get the 17" version but feel like they will tell me to get lost because I bought it from Amazon (which IS an authorized reseller...).

    I go back at 4pm EST today - Thanks.
     
  2. MADMAXX macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #2
    Mate,

    Ill lay it out straight for you. And first of I dont work for Apple Inc. I understand how you feel. I understand that you are disappointed that your new machine has failed. But I also understand that Apple could have said, Oh can you go back to Amazon please. Or if they wanted to help, they could have just told you to wait for a repair. I think that the salesperson is stepping over the mark by helping you out. Hes expediting the situation in order to minimise the stress and strain that waiting on a repair might cause you. I understand that you feel that you could have a better discount on a new laptop. But the simple fact is this. You're not eligable for it. Its his good will that he's extending to you. And if thats all he's wiling to offer I'd take it. Although being in sales myself (not retail thank god) asking never hurts and the worst he can say is no. But logistically how is he going to give you money for a transaction that he has not actioned?
    So to finish up:

    If you dont want to do without the expresscard slot and what not, then take a repair and wait it out.

    If you realise that this guy is pulling the strings and doing you a genuine favour, take the new machine, with the new warranty et al.

    Id stop focusing on money that you dont have anymore, and arent really entitled to IF he were to give you the new machine.

    Top salesguy I say, I personally wouldnt, Id chuck you back to the Amazon loop as it would be more of a headache to me to explain to someone why I took another retailers stock in and sent out mine. Especially in retail.

    I hope this helps but I welcome your feedback.
     
  3. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65832

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2003
    Location:
    UT
    #3
    Thanks for the response. I don't want to seem like I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth (or whatever the saying is) but I would like to do the right thing. I plan on pointing out the situation and offering to pay the difference for the 17" MBP. I'm not looking to get money back from apple. If they agree about the 17" upgrade, then great. If not, then great. Either way I"m happy with the way they are handling the situation. Just hope the new sealed battery MBP isn't problematic.

    Now transferring the Apple Care I bought on eBay is a whole 'nother ball of wax. Don't think it's even possible.
     
  4. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

    RiCEADDiCTBOY

    Joined:
    Dec 26, 2007
    #4
    Apple Care is transferrable.
     
  5. coolbreeze thread starter macrumors 65832

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2003
    Location:
    UT
    #5
    I bought Apple Care on eBay. Only received an email with a code. No box or sales receipt from an authorized seller.

    The genius said to return it to where I bought it from then re-buy a new one from the Apple store. I didn't tell him I got Apple Care on eBay and from what I read here it seems eBay Apple Care purchases are a real gamble.
     
  6. MADMAXX macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #6
    Ring applecare support and get them to transfer it quoting the receipt for the new macbook. ;)
     
  7. JAGMAN macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    #7
    The express card slot should be the only thing that complicates your choices here.

    The battery on the new MBPro is just as replaceable as the old regardless of what anyone says. There may be a price diff in replacing it too, but that will likely be made up for with the longer battery life expectancy of the newer model.
     

Share This Page