Macbookpro download issues!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thesaint33, Dec 23, 2011.

1. thesaint33 macrumors newbie

Hi, every time I try to download mac office 2011 which i purchased online, when it is supposed to be downloading or prompting me to ok the download all I get is a black screen, and nothing happens, I have quit all anti-virus programs and stuff but it is still being blocked! this also happens when I try to download anything! just the screen turns black and then.. Nothing! please help. Thankyou!:confused::confused:

2. papoopeepoo macrumors member

Welcome-

What browser are you using? Safari, Chrome? Does just the browser window go black or does the whole computer screen?

3. thesaint33 thread starter macrumors newbie

macbook pro download issues

Hi, thanks for responding. i'm using safari. 5.1.2 (6534.52.7) no the browser window stays normal, just the webpage turns black, in it looks like it's loading up, finishes, and the nothing. And the download is nowhwere to be found on my computer. frustrating!:(

4. papoopeepoo macrumors member

5. thesaint33 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, emptied it and still the same thing. I've created a youtube video so I can show you exactly what happens, if you don't mind watching it?

6. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Try Control+click (right click) and download attached file as... and you should see the popup window asking where you want to save the file to.

I've experienced the same thing and that has worked for me. Also if I leave it alone the file eventually does download. Not sure why that happens with some downloads, but I have seen it. Maybe because it's the size of the download.

7. thesaint33 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. papoopeepoo macrumors member

I just watched your video. I looks to me like safari is having some sort of trouble determining that file is not HTML or something viewable in the browser window. It's literally loading the code of the DMG file and attempting to display it to screen, but the codec gets an error and crashes.

To confirm this, after you click the download link, does Activity Monitor show network activity that would signify a download, or is it stopped (which would signify a time-out)?

I hate to say it, but if the right-click - save as../option-click method does not work to download the files to disk, your next step would be to completely reset safari from the safari menu.

P.S. -- Do your downloads typically go directly to Applications folder? Downloads should go to the downloads folder or desktop before being opened, and shouldn't be downloaded directly to the Applications folder.

9. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Just watched your video and first thing first, for the love of GOD please download Firefox from the official Mozilla download page. NEVER EVER from anywhere else even if you know the the site is legit. try again from Mozilla.

So, is this happening with every download?

Did you reset Safari as suggested above and did that help?

10. thesaint33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I had to leave the house. I will try all your suggestions when I get home. Thank you!!!

11. thesaint33 thread starter macrumors newbie

rocknblogger-
    Ok, I will only download from Mozilla!
    and yes this is happening with every download. :mad: I reset Safari and it still does the same thing.

papoopeepoo
    -the activity monitor flatlines, so i guess it crashes. and no, usaully my downloads go straight to my downloads window.

i cant even download firefox... this sucks.

12. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

What happens if you try downloading Firefox and just let it go and do its thing until its done?

Try downloading Chrome from the Google Chrome download page too.

You didn't install any kind of download manager did you?

13. thesaint33 thread starter macrumors newbie

no, no download manager from what i can remember. I cant even download Chrome!!:eek: what can I do?? Help!

14. papoopeepoo macrumors member

If you still have no luck, you might want to re-install osx and restore everything from a time machine backup. This will give you a fresh install of safari.

good luck.

15. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

All you should need to do is delete your Safari .plist file.
    It'll reset everything. You are apparently downloading everything as "view in Safari" style. You should at least have gotten garbled text after the .dmg download.

Users/Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.safari.plist

On lion you'll need to do a Go>Go to Folder and enter this for it to be seen:
    ~/Library

Otherwise repair your permissions and run a maintenance app like Onyx.

FWW I have never had any problems with Macupdate. I use it more than anything else. Including Mozilla. Unnecessary fear.