MacBookPro Hard Drive Replacement OS Lion Installation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Koyangie, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Koyangie macrumors newbie

Koyangie

My MacBookPro HD died during a time machine BU. Have a new drive and it has been formatted (disk utility) and it it ready to go, but need to install Mac OS Lion, unfortunately I don't have a bootable lion disk. I'm not sure the time machine back-up is the way to go as the system was problematic before, so would like to have a fresh OS install and build from there. I have a 10.6 system disk and could use that as a starting point but it seems like a lot of double effort to go that route. I also have a time machine back up for a mini and MacPro desktop. Could I recover from one of those? Tried to download Lion from the AppStore but it would only allow an update download to the desktop and mini. Suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.
    Koyangie

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

OP>> I would DL Lion again from the app store on your Mac Pro, then use that image to make a Lion USB key. You could then install your new drive in the MBP and boot from the Lion USB key to install Lion or restore from the Time Machine backup.

3. IngerMan macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Thanks Weaselboy. In preparation for my MBP refurb next week along with the SSD, I went ahead on my iMac and made myself the Lion Recovery USB drive and for kicks I did the DVD as well.

I tested the USB drive on my MBA and it works.