MacBookPro - Harddrive w/ Bootcamp upgrade help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sprime1, Aug 1, 2008.

1. sprime1 macrumors member

Hey Folks:

I know there are guides out there for replacing harddrives in MacBook Pros, but i can't seem to find anything to help me putting my Mac OS AND Bootcamp partitions onto the new harddrive. Can anyone offer advice?

I currently have a 100gb 7200RPM, and will get the Scorpio 320GB / 7200 rpm. I want like 250 Gig for the bootcamp partition (i'm an architect, and all my programs are windows based) and the rest for Mac OS, so i'll need programs that will copy the data, and let me resize the partitions without corrupting the existing files.

Thanks so much in advance!

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Simple buy an enclosure put the new drive in it, clone OS X over to it using carbon copy cloner or superduper & windows using winclone boot from the new drive to make sure things are Ok then take your MBP apart and swap the drives, you then have a new external that was once your internal

3. sprime1 thread starter macrumors member

So, i format the new drive externally to Mac Format, use CCC to clone the mac partition.

After this, do i need to boot from it, use bootcamp to set up the Windows partition, then use Win clone to clone the existing windows partition.

then test Mac partition (you can't boot windows from an external) and if it works, swap out my harddrives?

Is it that easy?

Could i just use Time Machine to clone the Mac OS instead of CCC?

4. sprime1 thread starter macrumors member

I already have the Bootcamp partition.... I want to keep it, but increase it's capacity.

5. unusualmuse macrumors newbie

Keep me posted!

Greetings...

I'm interested in doing a similar procedure on my MBP... has the original poster successfully done this? Or, has anyone else come up with any new info regarding making this happen?

Cheers...

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Actually, you'll need to do the swap before you set up the Windows partition in BootCamp

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

to do that you will need a windows based program such as Partition Magic. works great for expanding/decreasing/changing partitions!

8. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Actually you could clone the Windows partition with Winclone and reclaim the bootcamp partition using the bootcamp wizard and then recreate the bootcamp partition with the size you want.

Though I thought someone here said there was a faster method as well. I just know the above works because I've done it.

Just make sure you have backups of everything. I use Superduper in OS X and Winclone for the bootcamp partition.

Cheers,

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yea that would be the easiet way. my bootcamp is running under FAT32 still though, winclone doesnt support it. so i am kind of stuck in a nice big crack. currently imaging both partitions now (started up with the leopard installer disk) wish disk utility. i dont have access to an external sata drive so i cant use superduper either..

the backups dont want to work, i might just have to convert bootcamp to NTFS. i have a backup on time capsule for my osx..

10. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Doesn't winclone 2.10 support fat32 now?

Indeed it does:

Winclone
    Clone your XP/Vista bootcamp partition
    Now with mountable images and FAT32 support!

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

oh wow your right!! just had a look haha. thankyou Mr LifeSaver

12. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

<stupid question..>

how do i make an image of my startup drive in superduper!?

i have set the HD to "save to disk image"
    and selected an external HD to back it up too.

it now says

"pressing "copy now" will first erase your HD.

backup - all files" will then be used to copy your HD to the rea/write image named HD backup. all files on your HD will be copied to your HD, except the temporary files blaablaa"

hmph

EDIT: ok never mind!!!! i got it!!

i called the destination drive the same as the HD and it looked like it was going to copy to itself!! duh!

</stupid question>

EDIT2: and winclone is being a dog not finishing. stupid thing