macbookpro hum softener?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by khvt, Jul 13, 2010.

1. khvt macrumors newbie

Hi - My macbook pro runs louder than my now dead powerbook G4 used to. I'm wondering if there is a way to make the hum softer when I'm doing audio recording? I know it's bad to put something cushy underneath since it will heat up the machine, but I've experimented with that kind of thing, and it does lessen the hum. Are there different feet I can attach? I've searched the forums and I'm surprised other people haven't written about this. Any help is appreciated. Thank you, khvt

2. OpenLaszlo macrumors member

OpenLaszlo

Well, the default fan speed for the MBP is about 2000RPM, which is barely audible in a room. I'm not sure how process intensive audio recording is, but if by humming you mean hearing the fans running, then I suggest you download SMC Fan Control and just turn down the fan speed manually. However, make sure that your computer doesn't heat up too much (I personally don't let temperatures rise about 65 Celsius). If your computer is turning up the fans by itself, then its already too hot and you shouldn't fiddle with it, though.

3. khvt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks OpenLaszlo. I'll try that. It's not "that" loud, but on a wooden desk, with a microphone on the other side of the room, the hum/fan gets recorded! Thanks again. khvt

4. kasakka macrumors 68000

Try it in a different position. I found that when I had my 13" MBP in front of my TV in clamshell mode, the closer the black hinge was to the TV stand the more noisy the laptop would get - which was really just having less space for air to flow out from the hinge area so the fans kept ramping up.

Normally my MBP stays pretty much silent but now that it's very hot it does run the fans louder.

I don't really recommend using software to control the fans, the laptop itself does a good job already.

5. OpenLaszlo macrumors member

OpenLaszlo

From what I've read, to keep the laptop components healthy, the core temperature shouldn't really go above 70 Celcius. I know when I use Skype, run video editing software, or other really intensive tasks it heats up pretty quickly but the computer won't change the fan speed until 80 I believe. When it does, however, it jumps them to 6000 RPM, which is very loud. I would suggest adjusting the speed yourself so that the computer doesn't have to. If the laptop itself is turning up fan speed, then it means that it is already way too hot.

6. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

I don't know where you heard that from.

I use this:

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Chill-...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279115517&sr=8-23

For a 13" or 15" it does help to disperse the heat generated and it does not block any of the ports. I attach it when recording audio and even when the mic is less than a foot away it doesn't pick up the fans. Course that depends on your mic set up and all, but for me it works amazing.

If you have an older MacBook Pro and it's getting hot really easy it might just be struggling to process the audio. I know you said the older one was more quiet, but maybe that's why it's now a "dead" PowerBook, if it wasn't efficiently cooling components.

Worst case, you can always reposition your setup to where the mic isn't as close. If you're using the MacBook's built in mic, you might consider enabling ambient noise reduction.

7. khvt thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks revelated. Will look into that targus item. I appreciate all the input. khvt