MacbookPro less quality than PowerBookG4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macupset, Jan 7, 2013.

1. macupset, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

macupset macrumors newbie

Hi there

Bought a MacBookPro back in 2010 for £1400 and had many problems with it.

After 3 reparations and a lot of wasted time in the Apple store, they offered me a replacement in October 2011. I accepted it only to realised that the value of the replacement was £900.

I felt rip of since I had spent much more money in the original one and expected a better replacement. I am suing Apple.

I believe than Macs are of less quality now than they used to be.

I would like to know if there are any Mac users out there feeling that MacPros are of less quality than they used to be.

- fan

- display/screen

- trackpad

- hard drive noises

- battery life

I would also like to know whether anyone noticed that prices back in 2010 were hugely pumped up (overpriced)

Any help or further ideas be much appreciated

Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Iv'e owned a PBG4 and had problems with it when it came out (white spots due to fasteners being too tight). Since then I've owned a variety of MacBooks, MBPs and found the quality to be top notch. As I knock on wood I think the quality is as it was

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

It may have been a less expensive computer, but I have a feeling it was still faster than your original one. This is probably a better measure than the cost.

I disagree here, I've had less problems with the newer MacBook Pros than I ever did with the PowerBooks. Broken hinges, terrible batteries, bad RAM slots is just a few of the issues I had with the Titanium and Aluminum bodied PBG4s.

4. DayVe3000 macrumors member

I've never owned a PowerBook or similar - Only recent MacBook Pro's and a MacMini.

Although, I've nothing to compare it too - I have found the quality to be nothing but great.

5. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I disagree. I've owned 4 Macbooks and they all have been fantastic. The first problem I have had is with my rMBP and they fixed it within a couple days. I can't complain about that.

Original black MB
    cMBP 15inch
    MBA
    rMBP

6. njean777 macrumors 6502

Compared to the vast amount of pc's I have had over the years, apples quality is 20x better then almost any other manufacture I have ever purchased something from. Although Sony has good quality items as well, and I have never owned a Lenovo computer.

7. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Sorry to hear that.
    I had some trouble with a number of MBP rev. A's (the first macbook pro's), but after a few were DOA, I got one which worked (and still works). The Unibodies are my absolute favorites, they seem rugged as hell, and are usually easy to repair.

My experiences with my last ever PC laptop (lenovo X200) were in another league. Took it back to the shop the next day (repetitive hangs, for a minute every five minutes or so), the representative asks me to keep it for another week ("maybe you'll get used to it"). After one month he accepts that they'll take it back ("we'll ship it to the plant - you'll have to pay for S&H (and I can't say what that will be - and if they say it's broken you'll get reimbursed..." When I complained about the shipping cost, he suggested I'd buy a warranty extension. *

Luckily it was not my own machine (work), so I did not have to pay myself...

I still count myself lucky as a mac user, every day...

RGDS,

* This is not an indictment of lenovo as such, but they sure could keep their local representation of a shorter lead...

8. robvas macrumors 68020

They are MILES ahead of where they were in the G4 days.

Keyboard is better, battery life is 2-3x what it was, they run cooler. They're lighter and more solidly put together and thinner.

The optical drives still break (but I haven't bought a new Mac with one in a while) and I liked the old, thinner screen bezels. But other than a couple nitpicks they are vastly better than the old ones were.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Overpriced is always subjective. If you felt it was overpriced then why did you buy it? There's only one person to blame.

10. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

I agree. I *really* wanted (and arguably needed) a MacBook Pro, so I was *willing* to pay the price (the price is justifiable in my opinion).

11. robvas macrumors 68020

Prices used to be worse. I paid $2499 for my G4 and a friend of mine paid $3400 for his G3 Powerbook! You can get quite the machine for $1799 these days, and it doesn't help that you can max out the RAM for less than a hundred bucks. Back then we were buying each chip for $299!

12. rikbrown macrumors regular

lol

13. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

So you've had exactly one MBP (that has now been replaced by Apple) with several problems and somehow that means all MBPs are lesser quality than the old Powerbooks? Makes sense :rolleyes:

14. leman macrumors 604

I like this thread :D

Let me comment on your key points here from the perspective of the rMBP user.

inaudible

best in the industry

Not applicable due to the absence of the hard drive itself

I am not aware of any other laptop offering comparable features for less money.