Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tiger2

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
i have a 2012 macbook pro running latest osx. in order to give a presentation to parents at school i booted the computer while connected to an lcd projector with a different resolution (800 x 600, i think) than the macbook. now, whenever i boot the macbook it has black letterboxes on either side of the screen.

the first time i booted it after the presentation i had to switch the resolution back to 1680 x 1050. once the computer gets past the apple logo and that circular rotating dash thing, it reverts to 1680 x 1050 and the letterboxes go away, but for some reason it bugs me.

is there a way to stop it from doing this?

thank you for your time!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
i have a 2012 macbook pro running latest osx. in order to give a presentation to parents at school i booted the computer while connected to an lcd projector with a different resolution (800 x 600, i think) than the macbook. now, whenever i boot the macbook it has black letterboxes on either side of the screen.

the first time i booted it after the presentation i had to switch the resolution back to 1680 x 1050. once the computer gets past the apple logo and that circular rotating dash thing, it reverts to 1680 x 1050 and the letterboxes go away, but for some reason it bugs me.

is there a way to stop it from doing this?

thank you for your time!

You might try clearing the PRAM, hold Command-Option-P-R on startup and release after you hear the startup sound 3 times.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
It worked!

Thank you very much!

No worries

If you have problems like these first thing you think about is resetting PRAM or SMU, or resetting permissions.
In this case I though it was obvious (for me) to reset the PRAM since you got it at startup but vanished after login.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.