Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBookPro now or wait for Merom in August?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
iHeartTheApple said:
Good question. I believe I've heard talk of the possibility that the MBP Yonah processors are socketed. Maybe this means we could drop a Merom under the hood later on. Anyone know more about this? :eek:

You would need a good soldering iron and the hands of a skilled surgeon to replace the processor. So far, the only computers in the Intel line that are socketed is the Mini and the iMac.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Merom is coming to a laptopn near u!

Well u see u guys? I told u it wasnt worth getting those MacBookPros just yet, u see Merom coming? Many voted not to wait, well here is Merom guys, thats technology adn thats Apple. I dont like her new business upgrading profile! I stated it back then im stating it again now

finchna

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
i have one that's 6 weeks old and it's just about perfect--though a bit warmer than I'd like at times. I also wish it had a DL DVD burner.

However, I voted for waiting as maybe they'll figure out how to get the DL burner in the 15" machine, and they might be releasing a revision that, in every case, is quiet (mine is, but I keep reading about the whine being present in machines built after mine). Maybe they'll be a bit cooler?

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
Can your current computer hold out?

If so, then wait for Merom, if definitely so, then wait for Santa Rosa with the faster wireless (that won't be standard for a while, but will be important in the future).

Regarding the statement:
The next best thing is always going to come on the heels of what you buy today.

Personally, I work REALLY hard to stretch my dollar (because I have so few to stretch). Granted, there are people using cubes and earlier on this site alone, but my little G3 iBook & Dual 1.8 have both served me very, very well. From what I see, Apple is STILL selling the Dual 2.0!!! I don't feel that tech leapfrogged me. You just have to do the research & time your purchases to get the most bang for your buck.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Well currently I won't have enough for a MBP, I will have enough by early January so I guess that counts as waiting for merom :D. And I encode lots of video, so the speed benefits would be much appriciated for me. Right now I have to do the encoding on an intel pentium D 805 overclocked to 3.3GHz and it seems rather sluggish. (And that computer was broken for a month so I had to do it on my 1.33GHz G4 iBook and the was painfully slow) The difference between my intel Pentium D 805 overclocked and the 2.16GHz MacBook Pro is minuscule, so that is also a reason why I am waiting.

Jedi128

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2005
New York, NY
iHeartTheApple said:
Good question. I believe I've heard talk of the possibility that the MBP Yonah processors are socketed. Maybe this means we could drop a Merom under the hood later on. Anyone know more about this? :eek:

I believe that in the laptops (MBP's) the processor is sodered on there so you can not remove it. However, in the mini's and the iMac it is in a socket so you could remove it and upgrade it. Now you still have to worry that the Merom will still work on the same motherboard as the Yonah's, but from what I've heard so far they do.

As you can see there are a couple of conditions to look for, but in a laptop you really shouldn't expect to beable to upgrade something like that on it.

As for the thread topic, I will be moving to Cleveland to start at Case Western Reserve Univ. on Aug. 23 and plan to make my purchase before that. Now I have an older iBook right now just in case that Merom is running a little late. But I'd really like to have the MBP with Merom and have sold my iBook by Aug. 23. However, that could be very hard to pull off!

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
U still dont get what i mean do u?
its insanity that Apple updates its machines every 4-5 months either either thats the 2nd ver of the G5 iMac or its the MBPro laptop. A stop must be made to this especially if u say that u are very happy with the MBPro, then why upgrade it so soon?

onthat

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
Ruston, Louisiana
I'm holding out for the redesigned case, we're guaranteed to see lower operating temps. I doubt I'll see any benefit when it goes 64bit, unless adobe CS3 will utilize that technology. I'm just $300 short of a low end Pro, and my birthday will be days after the (rumored) release. I would love to see an improvement on the gpu this Fall, I have to make my purchase before September 8th.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.