MacbookPro or iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djkoen1, Nov 15, 2010.

  1. djkoen1 macrumors newbie

    Nov 15, 2010
    Hi there,

    im in rush to buy a macbookpro. I can afford the 2,4 on which will be basically
    using ableton and final cut. first question, as for the fcp7 will it
    be able to handle the software in terms of making some short videos?
    will it do the ableton, producing and djing??
    i chose the mpb for the mobility as i will
    be able to carry it sometimes, even dj with it(sometimes)
    but im also thinking of the 3,2 imac (is it faster???:confused:)
    also read the *don't buy it now* macbookpro warning and wondering
    how long should i wait if i choose to buy the mbp.
  2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604


    Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Get the high end 13" MBP with 8GB of RAM and you should be fine. The iMac would be faster, as you can get quad core (and i5 & i7) iMacs, but its not really ideal if you really need portability. If you need tons of power AND portability you should get the 15" i5 MBP.

    You'll be waiting till February if you want the new 13" MBP by the way...
  3. elpmas macrumors 68000


    Sep 9, 2009
    Where the fresh snow don't go.
    I would wait until Jan. to get a MBP. Also, I would get the low end 15" mbp. :D
  4. DaftZombie macrumors member

    Nov 4, 2010
    Washington State
    I have the 2.4ghz 13" MPB and have no problems running ableton, logic pro, reason ect.... Having some extra CPU beef (iMac, 15" i5) would be nice but so far the 2.4ghz is doing me just fine.
  5. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a


    Dec 28, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    my vote goes towards the macbook pro...great machine with portability.
  6. fsumom macrumors regular

    Nov 1, 2010
    I was deciding between a MBP and iMac and went with a MBP 13". I am so glad I did. It's obviously a a million times better then my over 6 year old HP desktop. And I love not having to sit at a desk to use it ;).
  7. DaftZombie macrumors member

    Nov 4, 2010
    Washington State
    Ha, that's exactly the case for me as well. I can't describe how great it was to be sitting on my bed web browsing with no cables for the first time, and a Mac of all laptops upon my lap. The extra screen size and CPU power still has me wondering if I should have gone with the imac though. Wonder if my soul is worth enough for a 27" :confused:
  8. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

    Jan 14, 2009
    As always the biggest question is portability, if you never need to take this notebook around with you then get an iMac, if not then get a notebook, and i would recommend 13" MBP with 8GB RAM and SSD (cost approximately the same as the bottom end 15")
  9. LoganT macrumors 68020

    Jan 9, 2007
    I owned a 24" iMac before I bought my 13" MBP. I'd say get a Macbook Pro and then maybe buy a 27" Cinema Display down the road. If anything goes wrong with your computer, bringing a Macbook to the Apple Store is a ton easier than lugging an iMac. And if you ever want to sell it, shipping a Macbook is much easier as well. Less chances of something to go wrong.
  10. djkoen1 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Nov 15, 2010
    thanks everyone. i almost forgot the imac option:)
    i will go and check the 13 as many of you mentioned
    as i dont remember the size exactly, and will choose
    beetween the 13 8gb or 15 2,4 4 gb
    by the way im so sad its much more expensive
    in greece where i am (almost 200euro more!!!)
    i was thinking of buying it from the uk online store but then
    i will not be able to have service here:(
    anyone bought online?
    is that reliable in terms of shipping and moving it around
    till it reaches your home?

Share This Page