MacBookpro randomly crashing all the time( kernel_tasks )

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kernelssuck, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Kernelssuck macrumors newbie

Hi Guys
    Ever since I updgraded to Maverick - Kermel_task is eating up alot of memory and I think its causing my Macbookpro to randomly crash all the time. I literally cannot go 10 minutes of using programs like chrome/mail etc.. without the system randomly crashing and rebooting

Attached are screenshots.

If anyone can help please do!

Thankyou
    Amy

Attached Files:

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

RAM usage is fine. It's likely to be something else causing the problem. If you'd be kind enough to review the troubleshooting steps below, I'm sure we'll quickly get to the bottom of the problem.

1) Open Disk Utility (you can do this by clicking Spotlight and searching for it, or opening through Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility). Single-click Macintosh HD along the left-hand side, and then click 'Verify Disk'. Wait for it to finish (may take some time if you don't have an SSD). Any red writing?

2) If that's green and says it's OK, please download the trial of Smart Utility from here and run it. This will check the hard-drive for any corruptions. Any errors? http://cloudfront.volitans-software.com/smartutility312.zip

3) Open Terminal (same location as Disk Utility) and type in last -10 then press Enter. This will indicate the last time your computer was shut-down. If it's been some time, it might be time for a restart.

4) Turn it off and on again. Even if you shut down on a regular basis, the best option is to disable the option that says 'Reopen windows when logging back in'. If this is enabled, it will restart background processes and therefore if there's a memory leak or something else causing a problem, rebooting won't solve this. Disabling this option will fix it.

Speak to you soon.

3. Kernelssuck thread starter macrumors newbie

Thankyou for helping! I have ran smartutility and it has found these errors

Attached Files:

4. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Ouchies, that's a corrupted hard-drive. Good news is you now know what's causing the problem with your computer.

I'd definitely get a Time Machine setup ASAP, and back up your documents. Do you still have AppleCare? Also what MacBook Pro is it -- retina or classic?

5. Kernelssuck thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a classic, I'm backing it up right now!

Looking for a 1gb hdd does this look suitable?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1Tb-1000G...ther_Computing_Networking&hash=item19eef0030f

Thankyou!

6. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Incidentally if you're not sure if you're still in warranty, pop your serial number into this website: https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

----------

Yeah, that'll work. However don't worry too much about it saying 'Mac' on it. Any laptop hard-drive will work in a Mac, as they don't use exclusive hardware, and you can get a 1TB one for about £50 or less, which'll save you a few quid.

As you'll be replacing the hard-drive anyway, now may be a good time to consider a solid-state drive. The performance is unmatched and it'll boot into OS X instantly, although the prices are a little high.