MacBookPro Screen, does it scratch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kapitanemo, Mar 14, 2011.

1. kapitanemo macrumors newbie

I know its glass, but does it scratch? or is it a scratch resistant as glass should be?

The reason I am asking is that I had a white macbook with the bare lcd screen and Im also a student so I carry my laptop with me all day. I noticed that across my MacBook screen is a horizontal scratch I cant clean/rub/buff out. I am lead to believe its from the keys of the keyboard scuffing the screen.

I just dont want the same to happen to my new (awesome) MBP.

TIA

2. xpcker macrumors regular

look

i use my mbp probably in the worst conditions for the screen, i work with loot of fdust and in the evening i drive my bike to home and the mbp moves a looot.

i had an hp and a vaio and the screen lasted 2months, also got the mbp with glossy and lasted for a year. ive been with glossy 2010 and never had a single scratch for a year now

gl!

3. Jmouse macrumors 6502

I believe it does get scratched if its hard and deep enough.
    Protection wise , you can grab one of those screen protector for your top led screen. It gives you an extra layer of protection mainly for scratches.

4. Resist macrumors 68030

All glass will scratch, even scratch resistant glass. But obviously having glass over the LCD screen is better protection than just an LCD screen.

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

As long as you don't work in a woodshop or something, your screen shouldn't scratch.

6. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

OP: Didn't you take science when you were a kid. Everything will scratch including diamond.

7. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

You could opt for an adamantium screen but it'll cost ya a loot. /xpckr

8. kapitanemo thread starter macrumors newbie

true I just had this discussion with my friend. we concluded that since I do not work at a woodshop or machine shop then the dust particle smost likely to find themselves perched on my keyboard/screen are not massive enough to probably have a structure hard enough to cut glass. This is also assuming that the keyboard's plastic is not manufactured laced with diamond:eek:

9. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I don't think the screen actually touches the keyboard. The glass surface is actually concave towards the edges, so only those areas should actually come into contact unless there is pressure on the back of the LCD lid.

10. iZero macrumors regular

Even if you're worried about scratches, there is a free and easy, proven solution :) Keep the foam screen protector that is in your Mac the moment you open it. Put it in there when your MBP is in transit, or even stationary on the desk if you like, and I guarantee you that the keys will not be scratching your screen :) There's a rather informative thread about this recently

11. 7even macrumors 6502a

I've had the anti-glare model for a year and a half. No scratches. I use it daily and when I don't always have the microfiber cleaning cloth handy when I'm wiping the screen. The keys will leave spots (anti-glare or as on my previous glossy unibody) but you can wipe them off if you try hard enough.

12. amoergosum macrumors 6502

I think that's what I'm going to do.
    I mean....why does Apple put the thin foam between the screen and the keyboard in the first place if it is not necessary at all?

13. iZero macrumors regular

Well, I think they do it more as a precaution for shipping, than it's necessity for everyday use. There's no telling what kind of pressures are applied to the box in shipment. If I press the top of my screen when it's closed, I am sure it would touch the keys. But I'm sure that normally when closed, it doesn't. I use it as a precaution when I'm travelling, but if it's just sitting on my desk or if I'm carrying it to another room or something, I don't bother :)