MacbookPro spilt beer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crown16, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Crown16 macrumors regular

Dear all,

I recently spilt a beer over my MacBook Pro end 2011. After drying and letting it sit for a day I check the battery and it was still charged (green lights on the left side lit up after pressing button. When I saw this I attempted to boot it, which it did. I started up regularly with the apple logo and such. After a couple of min shuts down again and a bit later it attempts to reboot itself.

I think that the harddrive is Shot because it gets as far as booting to the logo but like previously mentioned it doesn't finish.

I opened up the macbook, disconnected the battery and took out the harddrive. It smelt heavily like beer and was still slightly humid. I still have a 250gb harddrive out of a different MacBook Pro mid 2010. I want to attempt to hook this other harddrive into the MacBook Pro and try too boot it. Are there any clear reasons im missing this wouldn't work, or damage the laptop further?

thanks

2. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

You've provably got beer on the logic board too, needs a good clean out inside with isopropyl and cotton buds.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

high odds that the logic board is toast and you are out of luck. Powering it back on probably wrecked it.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Trying a known-good hard drive won't hurt anything, but not likely to help.
    As others will point out, the hard drive is likely the least of your problems. The continuing moisture, and the various ingredients in a good beer, will continue to do its work - and not to help you. Removing everything that can be removed, then a careful cleaning, then allowing all the hardware to dry out completely (give it a week or so before you reassemble), then a LOT of luck, your MBPro may revive. I can't give you any encouragement that you will succeed with your beery accident. Working in a service department, I've seen many more failures than successes with repairing liquid spills

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

This!

This is the only way to get his Macbook running again, if I were the OP I would disconnect from mains and remove the battery ASAP, then remove the main board, clean it with Isopropyl alcohol, let it dry for a while, not like the one above me says, a week is not necessary, a few hours will do, alcohol dries very fast.
    If the OP does this NOW he most likely saves his Macbook!

6. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Hmm, not so sure the beer residue could be causing a short. I've got boards going covered in cola gunk by being very thorough with a led lamp magnifier with isopropyl and buds.

The laws of drink spills are - tip your laptop upside down immediately keys down and let gravity save your logic board. Next Removing the battery or connector but if it's glued in or if you can't do it let it dry out first and get someone else to do it!

7. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

if performance is slower after the spill it's not liquid damage it's because the macbook is drunk

8. Wishbrah macrumors regular

Wait...the real tragedy here....what beer was wasted?!?!

9. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Double whammy. Your laptop is toast and you lost your beer. Feel for you bro. I just hope it was only that nasty US stuff.

10. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

lol