macbookpro stuck at grey screen and can't see newly installed disk

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arsene1406, May 16, 2012.

1. Arsene1406 macrumors newbie

May 16, 2012
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Hi everyone,

I've got a very huge issue that needs your help.
    I got a Macbook Pro (2010 version). It was working pretty fine all this time but somehow it just became a bit slow compared to when i bought it. Then last week, it just got a bit slower than usual that i decided to restart it. And when i did, it wouldn't go past the grey screen with an apple logo and the spinning wheel (it would get stuck there for hours!!!). I searched the internet for some solutions but none of them could solve my problem.

I even had to format my disk, lost all my data that wasn't backed up yet, and still it didn't work!!! I also tried to reinstall the OS but i wouldn't work. One time the installation was successful but when the computer booted, it didn't go past the grey screen. Stuck there again for hours...

Then i was told that my hard-disk is dead. So, i went out and got me another disk: a Western Digital 500Gb 5400rpm disk but my Mac can't see it (i.e not visible in Disk Utility). After trying again and again, i decided to change it to Hitachi 500Gb 5400rpm (because the original says HITACHI 160Gb 5400rpm) but the same problem persists. Strangely, if i put back the old hard-disk, the computer can see it!!!! :confused:

Now again i changed to Seagate 500Gb 5400rpm and it still doesn't work!! :mad: Surprisingly, both disks work fine if i connect them to an external enclosure (except for the Hitachi disk which even Windows OS can't recognize: the worst of all!!).

Is there a way of fixing this problem? I really don't know what to do....

Whatever ideas or suggestions you have are so welcomed.

2. Arsene1406 thread starter macrumors newbie

May 16, 2012
    Bangkok, Thailand
    The disk was formatted

actually i did format them using another Mac computer because my one could not recognize/see them. I'm pretty sure the disks were formatted.