macbookpro Vs. imac graphics

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by grooveattack, Jan 22, 2008.

1. grooveattack macrumors 6502a

What would be better?
    a NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 128MB SDRAM
    OR
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory.

any ideas?

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Imac 2600 card is faster b\c it is a desktop card vs a laptop card in the MBP.

Both are current gen midrange cards from 2 different companies.

It benchmarks a little higher but the MBP performs very well for a portable computer nevertheless.

3. gothamm macrumors 6502a

4. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

I was trying to find this out as well 5 months ago when I was deciding betwen a MBP and the newly released iMacs.

From what I recall at the time people were saying that the 2600 was better with more modern games i.e. those that made use of its unique features. Whereas the 8600 was better for everything else - I've had no problems with the 8600, it's a great card.

But I think the conclusion was that it really depends on which game you're playing and whether it's optimised for the nVidia cards or ATI ones.

P.S. The 256MB RAM in the ATI card would probably be better for larger size textures than the 128MB one in the nVidia.

5. dannewell15 macrumors regular

6. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Hi dannewell15, I read your thread and I see from your signature that there's no mention of an iMac or MacBook Pro. So did you decide to get one in the end? If you did, how did you find the graphical performance?

I maybe getting an iMac for my sister and as I've got a MBP at the moment I'm pretty curious how they compare.

Cheers :)