MacBookPro3,1 64-bit artificial limitation

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ifou123, Jan 17, 2011.

1. ifou123 macrumors newbie

It is my understanding that all Intel-based Macs are 64-bit capable, but earlier ones (including my 2007 2.4 Ghz Santa Rosa 17") have artificial limitation. I've successfully updated the script to x86_64, and under System Profiler I still get "64-bit kernel and extensions: No"

From what I can tell it's the Kernel version Darwin 10.6.2 that needs to be upgraded/hacked, but have seen no info on how to do this.

Recently upgraded to 4 GB RAM as well as an 120 GB SSD. This computer is 4 years old but it is still fast. Boots in 10 secs flat. The only thing is I'm running CS5 and really want to take advantage of the 64-bit.

If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Running the 64-bit kernel instead of the 32-bit kernel will have no effect on performance of CPU intensive 64-bit applications. Don't worry about this. Also, AFAIK, Photoshop is the only application in CS5 that is 64-bit. The others are still 32-bit.

3. ifou123 thread starter macrumors newbie

I use Photoshop CS5 quite extensively, seems there is quite improved performance running 64-bit. Premiere and After Effects CS5 only run in 64-bit. Admittedly I'm not a heavy user of either of these.

Judging by the way the wind is blowing, CS6 will be mostly/all 64-bit. If there's no way to enable my MacBookPro3,1 to 64-bit, so if not so much now, it will definitely be an issue later on.

4. chrfr macrumors 603

Photoshop CS5 runs in 64-bit regardless of whether the computer is booted into a 64-bit kernel and there will be no perceptible difference in performance with the computer in 32-bit mode. Because the computer has only 4GB of RAM, Photoshop is already limited by the amount of available memory; if your computer had more RAM you'd see a difference in the amount it could use.

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Probably wasn't clear that which kernel you run makes no difference on the ability to run 64 bit applications. Also, even with a 32-bit kernel you can have more than 4GB of RAM. This is totally different than in the Microsoft Windows environment that architects the processor and memory in a more restrictive way to maintain compatibility with "legacy" applications. No such issue with OS X.