MacBooks - 2.1 or 2.4 GHz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nyaos, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Nyaos macrumors newbie

So I'm buying a MacBook, and am really strapped on a tight budget here.

So I can't decide between the two MacBooks, the 2.1 and 2.4 GHz models. For 200 more, you can get the upgraded processor and an extra GB of RAM...

So I was wondering, how much more performance will I see in the 2.4GHz model? I was planning on dual booting XP, and running some older Source games like Counter-Strike.

Normally I'd just go with the 2.4 GHz model, but can someone tell me from personal experience or knowledge if it's worth it to move the budget up?

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

It's worth it in resale value. It's always best to get the fastest processor you can afford if reselling is likely. The difference won't be terribly noticeable when they are the same era chips (Penryn?). If your uses are not CPU intensive, then it's not likely you'll notice at all unless you have both machines side by side for comparison. For about $100, you can max out the ram, so the extra gig of stock ram is moot in this instance. You could get a year of .Mac, and max out the ram on the 2.1 for the same price as the 2.4.

So decide what's more important to you, and go with that. Good luck to you. :)

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The extra cash also gets you dual-layer DVD burning. The 2.1 can only burn CDs. It can play DVDs but can't burn them.

The white 2.4GHz model is probably the best value for money in the lineup - I got the black one because it looks cooler and had the 250GB HDD standard.

Definitely get the 2.4GHz model - you'll find yourself wanting more after not too long a period if you get the 2.1GHz. The next model up is far more capable and will last you a lot longer for you cash too.

4. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

probably the best value laptop on the market...

if money is REALLY an issue for you, go for the 2.1GHz

personally, i never go shopping for a mac (or anything for that matter) unless i know what i want and have the money to buy it. saves situations like these where you're not sure what you want or if you have enough money for it.

5. Hoo03 macrumors regular

It looks like as of right now, Apple is selling refurbs on 2.4GHz white model for $1099. This is equivalent price to a brand new 2.1GHz model. I say go for the refurb since you will get additional 40GB, 1GB RAM, 0.3GHz and a Superdrive.

6. Nyaos thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, I got the refurbished one! All the 2.4GHz for the price of the 2.1GHz!

7. Hoo03 macrumors regular

Excellent choice!

I think it was a perfect timing too. Congrats and let us know how you like your macbook when it gets to you. :)

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

That white 2.4 refurb is a deal. I got a new one from Amazon a couple
    weeks ago with a $75 rebate and no tax. So with tax vs. $20 shipping
    your still coming out $50 or so ahead.

Get your 4gb kit from OWC now for $89.95. They are saying ram prices will
    probably be going up soon, so don't miss the window of opportunity.

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

newegg has better deals. You can get a single 2GB stick for less than $35. Multiply by 2 and you come out ahead.

10. m1stake macrumors 68000

Buy in pairs, dual channel is fun.

(2 sticks in the same package, they will be matched)

(1 stick in the package, not matched)