MacBooks and Adobe CS5??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by manyminis, Apr 14, 2010.

1. manyminis macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried CS5 (especially Photoshop) on an early 2008 MacBook 2.4 GHz with GMA X3100 and 144MB VRAM? Wanting to upgrade from CS2 but I didn't want to get a MacBook Pro until late 2010. I know it will be slower, but will it work?

Adobe's requirements state 244MB vram needed, but that seems like a huge requirement for the MacBook's smaller screen.

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I'm sorry m but I doubt that Cs5 when it come out probably wont run on your Macbook, bur hey download a trial and test it and let us know. :)

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Photoshop does use very little of your GPU power so don't worry!
    And yes CS5 will be a lot faster on your MacBook, just due to the fact that CS2 is written in PPC code and CS5 is intel code.

It will not be slower, it will be faster. (At least CS4 is)

4. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Photoshop appears to be the only product in the suite that has a VRAM requirement, and it's 256MB. So yeah, you're probably going to have problems with PS but everything else should work.

5. sethwalt macrumors newbie

6. miicah macrumors regular

But again, minimum specs are usually overstated.

7. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

The higher VRAM requirements for Photoshop CS5 are used mostly for the accelerated graphics features like animated zooming, panning, window shadows, 3D, etc. You can disable these in the preferences and use the program without them.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you put in 4GB of RAM into your MacBook with the X3100 GPU, it should increased the used VRAM to 288MB.

9. Simcat macrumors newbie

Macbook 2.2 4 GB Ram. CS5 3D (Repousse) won't work?

Apparently the GeForce 8600M GT on my 2.2 Macbook Pro doesn't have enough grunt to run open GL for Repousse to function! Grrrrr.
    Options? Upgrade my Macbook Pro, get a decent desktop or try something like ViDock to boost my Video performance.
    I've emailed Villagetronic about ViDock and waiting for a response to see if this would solve the issue:apple: