Macbooks are not more reliable then Pc laptops.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by waloshin, Dec 6, 2010.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

My Unibody Macbook's trackpad barley works, and now the DVD drive is dying!

The Dvd drive is the HL-DT-ST DVDRW GS21N, anybody else have this problem?

And how hard would it be to swap it out, can I install a bluray laptop drive?

Thanks

2. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Actually, the drives aren't made by Apple, they're manufactured by LG.

As to the Blu-Ray, I'm sure if you get a 9.5mm SATA slot-loader, it'll fit. You'll be unable to watch Blu-Ray movies from disc, as OSX doesn't support it.

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

You can watch Blu-ray discs under OS X, but I suspect the MacBook doesn't have the horsepower to do so.

4. Blondie :), Dec 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2010

Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I didn't think Mac's had Blu Ray support? I know the biggest reason why is because they don't come with a blu ray drive (obviously) but if you put a drive in it will read it? How so, if I may ask. I'm rather curious as to how that works haha :)

O, and to reply to OP's statement, I do believe you are just one of the few who happen to get a faulty machine. Faulty machine's exist wherever mass production exists. It's a part of life man haha. Just take it back to apple and jump their ****, they'll usually hook you up ;)

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Check my sig link for the details. Basically you use MakeMKV's streaming server to send the decrypted m2ts file from the disc to VLC for playback.

The problem with the dual-core processors is that Macs cannot handle HD audio (True-HD or DTS-MA), thus the software (VLC, Plex, etc.) has to extract the DTS or AC3 cores from the HD audio on the fly. That is very processor intensive and usually leads to stuttering (one core processes the audio, the other processes the video). Quad core (and perhaps hyperthreading dual cores, e.g., i7 mobile) may not have this problem.

6. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I hardly think that one person's experience is enough to make blanket statement claims that the thread title is.

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

And in fact the surveys done by independent consumer groups show the title is wrong.

8. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Sorry, cannot agree ... I have never seen a PC that did not freeze up like the winters here in Canada.

Maybe you just got a bad one ... not common though. :cool:

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

"Macbooks are not more reliable then Pc laptops"

A MacBook is a PC laptop... PC stands for "Personal Computer". The MacBook is a personal computer, is it not?

10. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

One experience isn't really enough to base statements like the one as the thread title on. It's more about overall reliability.