MacBooks being replaced tomorrow, do I get cheap Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kardashian, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Hey Guys.

Before I start, I am on MacBook number 5. Number 6 is coming tomorrow.

To say I am "annoyed" at Apple right now.. slight understatement.

Anyway, I have been promised store credit as compensation for this utterly ridiculous situation I have been in over the past 12 months.

I told Apple I would use it to buy Apple, however they said they didn't know how much I was going to have, and would call me.

If the store credit never appears, or its not enough to guy Leopard - should I push to get the cheap upgrade (if its available in the UK).

I'm on MacBook number 6, and whilst I don't believe I am entitled to 'freebies' - I think I do deserve to be compensated somehow at least, for the fact that every few months, my MacBooks go tits up.

Maybe I am asking too much. What are your opinions?

Don't b1tch in this thread saying I'm scrounging off Apple. I'm just trying to get a few opinions, first.

2. e.magnusson macrumors member

Maybe you should considering upgrading and going up to a MacBook Pro. What exactly happened to your MacBooks? Did they just like die?

3. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

The first 4 changed colour.

The fifth ones hinge broke, had an uneven trackpad button, and more worryingly.. hisses and gurgles at me.. which can he heard metres away.

I was going to get a MacBook Pro this year actually, but with me taking a year out abroad, I thought the smaller, lighted MacBook would be a better choice.

When this brand new one comes, I might eBay it straight away, unopened, and get a refurbished Pro.

Hmmmm, thats a thought..

4. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

You get 'cheap Leopard' if you can provide an invoice dated on or after October 1st. No invoice means probably no freebie. What you negotiate as part of your compensation is an entirely separate issue, but I just received my replacement MBP last week and the Apple Rep was quite clear and although my warranty would reset, my purchase date would not. It is now pretty clear why he made that qualification.

5. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

You're not likely to be any happier with a refurbished MBP if you've had this much bad luck with your MacBooks.

6. crzdmniac macrumors regular

If you enter it on the website it goes off the serial number, and since the machine is "new" it will still work, whether or not it's wrong or right I know it works, it was the same thing with the iLife update.

7. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Given that you seem to be one of those insatiably complaint-prone customers who abuses the support system to the detriment of the rest of the Mac community (stiffer replacement standards, more blind-eyes turned to hardware defects), my advice to you, as an Apple shareholder, would be "NO", do not try to get yet ANOTHER freebie... and while you're at it, stop defrauding the company.

8. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Since you are so quick to judge me. First of all, you've made an assumption that I abuse the support system. Secondly, you've said I'm trying to get ''another'' freebie. What was the first one? Getting defective MacBooks replaced.

Sorry for using my rights as a customer. Apple themselves are the ones who have offered me credit, all I asked of them was a working computer.

There are countless threads and posts by me, if you view my history on this site, where my MacBooks have been reported as defected. One by one. I have never, ever, abused the returns system. Thank you.

After the assumptions you made about me, I'll make one about you. Your an idiot. I said at the bottom of my opening post, do not bother posting abuse saying I'm scrounging off Apple. I am simply asking if I can get Leopard at a cheaper price, now that I have a new computer - which I feel is not doing the company any harm, since they have really, really made life difficult for me.

How am I abusing the returns system as well, may I ask, since youre so quick to give me your unwanted opinion? (Before you spout off with ''This is an online community, you asked for peoples opinions blah blah".. I specifically said I was not scrounging off Apple. If I wanted Leopard that bad, I could get it off BitTorrent.. at least I am willing to pay for it. I'm asking can I get it cheaper - and I believe I am entitled to it, after the hassle with my computers.)

You seem to think you know an awful lot about me from one very, very short post. This is the first Mac product I have ever returned, and believe you me - I have owned many.

You will see from previous posts and threads that since joining this community a little over 2 years ago, I have gone from iBooks, to more than 3 generations of iMac, 2 generations of Mac Mini's, eMacs and countless number of iPods, and now also MacBooks.

All the Macs and iPods I have had were sold completelly legit, and I used the money to fund new purchases. This is the only case were I have had to return an Apple product.. ever.

Don't you dare make assumptions of my actions. How dare you say I am defrauding the company and abusing their returns system.

You, sir/madam, are a contrary little person who obviously gets their kicks by speaking down to others over the internet. Just because you own a few shares in Apple, does not give you the right to talk to anyone the way you just did in your post. You are making serious assumptions regarding my actions which are false.

You own shares, you don't run the company. Get a grip.

9. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

Until someone can verify this I will remain a skeptic. I too saw the form but it also asks date of purchase and presumably Apple is going to verify this data...

Edit: On a separate note, it looks like this thread is about to turn into a nice flaming session, so I expect to further useful information is going to surface.

10. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I can't seem to find the option to enter the serial number and date of purchase on the UK store. Maybe its US-only?

11. Trepex macrumors 6502a

Trepex

From the looks of it, you can do it as a US or Canadian customer. See below:
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/

Not sure about if this extends to the UK. Call up and ask. Explain that this is your 6th system and you're getting a credit and you want to get Leopard for free too since you're entitled to it. :rolleyes:

12. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Based on your earlier explanation, you've had Apple replace your laptop FOUR times for purely cosmetic reasons... That's over-the-top and frivolous in my books.

13. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Your either incredibly rich, laid back, or dumb.

If you paid £750 for a white computer and it went pink, green and yellow.. you wouldn't return it?

Thats a rhetorical question, I really would prefer you didn't answer.. as it will have nothing to do with the original point of this thread.

14. diamondsw macrumors newbie

Pink, green, and yellow - yet your sig indicates a Black MacBook? :confused:

I assume you have photos documenting this (I certainly do whenever there is a dispute, especially if it is something cosmetic) - go ahead and post them. If it's a slight shade change, people will give you grief. If it's hot pink or lime green, you'll get a rather better response. ;)

15. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Read the whole post first, please. I've had white MacBooks previous to this black one. The black one was purchased after the white ones all changed colour.

I don't have pictures of my specific MacBooks changing colour. However, it is well documented on numerous internet sites, including this one, that the first gen of white MacBooks had a colour-changing problem. They absorbed dirt and oil, and somehow this sparked some weird colour change.

Hope that answers your question about my colour changing WHITE MacBooks.

16. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

I don't think any of us are arguing that your concerns with the white MacBook were unfounded. I totally agree that you shouldn't have to put up with such shoddy quality control, ESPECIALLY in the UK where you're already paying premium rates to have a Mac.

The reason why I posted in such a critical manner is because it just seems so excessive. Have you ever heard the expression "fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame on me?" Notice that it stops at two. Apparently after THREE discolored MacBooks you had the tenacity to go back and get yet ANOTHER one. And, lo and behold, it changed color! Who would have seen that one coming?!

Look, you got a bum deal. You shouldn't have to put up with a discolored MacBook. But it's the way you went about it that's wrong. Having your computer replaced ONCE is a pretty big deal when it comes to Macs. You've had it done six times! AND, despite Apple's INCREDIBLE generosity when it comes to your seemingly perpetual dissatisfaction (whether founded or not), you now feel entitled to another freebie. So, when you asked whether you should push for a discounted version of Leopard, I responded. Admittedly your post alone is not what has me irked... you are one of many to have complaints about the Apple quality control. But if it's such a big issue, sending it back and forth the service center isn't doing anyone any good. In fact, it's just tying up resources that could be used by people who have CRITICAL (non-cosmetic) issues with their machines. That's what I found so objectionable.

I hate to say it but a man with your experience should have bought something else after the 2nd or 3rd replacement. Either a non-Apple computer, or a MacBook Pro (though you likely would have had 8 yellow LED-backlits, I'm sure).

Anyways, you can call me an "idiot" or "dumb." It doesn't bother me much. But if you ask whether or not you should not only CONTINUE to suckle at the tit of Apple's generosity, but actually demand MORE, I'll damn well answer you with my opinion. You're free to ignore me and move on!

17. xp2mac07 macrumors member

I can confirm this works. I don't know the serial number cutoff but week 38 and 41 MBPs qualified if you put a purchase date after October 1. My order went through without any problems and it shows shipping by October 26 (not delivery by).

18. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian