Macbooks Durability when used like a Desktop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Scarpad, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I am thinking of getting a Macbook this Xmas. I want to Replace my Aging G4 PPC Mini. If the mini's finally got an upgrade I'd consider another one, but don't know how likely that will be. I've never been an iMac fan because I don't like all in one's. I already have a great WS Monitor I don't need another. So my only other real choice is a Laptop. It would take the place of the mini and I'm wondering how it would hold up to daily use, swapping of peripherals etc.

2. wako macrumors 65816

Works fine...

as long as you dont do anything graphically intensive it should be fine. I been using my MacBook as a desktop for quite awhile now ever since I smashed the screen. I leave it on all the time, and its chugging right along....

One daily usage gripe I have about is that the speakers SUCK. Terrible quality, and probably worse than the iPod headphones :eek:. However that is easily fixed by just plugging in your own speaker to the headphone port. :)

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I think it would be fine, but I'd wait for a Mac Mini update. That way, if the MacBook ever dies on you, or you want to upgrade, you don't have to shell out 1.2K vs .7k(guess on how much you'll spend).

If your not going to using the laptop part, why both using a laptop, you know?

4. wako macrumors 65816

If you take Zap's idea, I wouldnt mind releasing my MacBook with the busted screen from my custody to you with a fee of course [AKA:buying] ;)

It is afterall the best Mac Mini on the market right now, atleast thats how Im thinking of it as ;)

5. john2006wright macrumors regular

I'm thinking of using getting a MB and doing this if the new imac doesnt arrive pretty soon. It'll cost more than an imac if i have to buy a display and speakers but it gives me a portable option and its easier to upgrade.

6. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

My Macbook sits on an iCurve with the following hooked up to it:

-AC power adapter
    -Network cable
    -2 firewire drives
    -1 USB hub with: 1 USB HDD, EyeTV EZ (tv tuner), camera dock
    -1 USB extension cable that I use for connecting iPods and memory sticks
    -Mini-DVI to DVI cable connected to 21" Gateway LCD HD monitor
    -Line-out + Mic going to the speaker bar connected to the monitor
    -Apple Bluetooth keyboard and mouse

I sold my Mini and have been using the Macbook for several months like this and haven't had a single problem. At night I just put it to sleep. If you plan on putting yours on a stand, and leaving the lid open for long periods of time, I would recommend getting a keyboard cover (cloth) to keep dust off. It's also good to have, even if you close the screen, since it keeps the greasy filth from your fingers transferring from the keyboard to the screen.