MacBook's fans at full speed...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mad cow disease, Oct 3, 2011.

1. mad cow disease macrumors member

My MBP is in for repairs. No problem, I'm thinking, since I've done a Time Machine backup and I have my backup MacBook (2 GHz, 4 GB RAM). I wipe the drive, load up Lion on it and then restore my MBP's system on the MacBook. No issue, except for the fact the fan runs at full blast 6200 RPM when I'm BROWSING THE WEB. No crazy flash video, either. I can run full-screen video and not a peep out of the fans. At first I was pretty sure it was Spotlight indexing, but that's come and gone. I have my RSS in the background, Mail, and maybe a few other apps open, but full blast continues unabated. CPU load barely, maybe 40% at peak. Running at 65 C

Have reset SMC, PRAM, and run a full system diagnostic. Nothing. This is clearly related to loading Lion on this machine, since I was running this machine with no fan issues before on 10.6.8. Should NOT have spent the $30 again...any ideas?

2. The13thDoctor macrumors regular

See if you could take it apart and clean up the dust balls a bit. Your fans might be clooged:p

3. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

You could have a logic board problem... That's why my fans were going crazy recently. Had to send the macbook to Apple for repair... Hopefully they can fix it.

4. mad cow disease thread starter macrumors member

Neither of those explains the random "coincidence" of loading Lion on this laptop then having the fans suddenly change behavior. Neither does it explain why the system feels that web browsing is somehow placing a massive burden on the CPU while rendering full-screen video is not. This all points to software.

Lion is complete garbage. Laggy, slow, and a complete system hog. This is to add insult to injury given that I couldn't actually download it at home despite having 10 mbps down, I had to drive 30 minutes to the Apple Store...

Oh well, thanks anyway.

5. ibuyufo macrumors 6502

I have a macbook 4,1 and lion runs pretty well in it for such an old machine. The macbook only has 2 gb of ram.

6. session101 macrumors regular

i run around 46-50c while surfing the web, get smcfancontrol app