Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qwertya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
sometime my macbook's keyboard is not working.. i m starting to press caps lock (maybe 20 times) to see when light is going to come [to be sure that keyboard is working].. it becomes worst and worst.. why this can be? thnx in advance..

mikemichael

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2007
me too!

Mine is also doing that. I've had my computer for about three months now, I installed Leopard on it when it came out. The keyboard started to mess up today. The keyboard stops working, but if I press random keys for like 30 seconds, then it will start working again. If I stop typing for like ten seconds, then it'll stop working again. Basically, whenever I want to type something, I have to push random keys until I get it to work again.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
It's the price you pay for running a beta operating system. If you want stability (or a working keyboard), go back to Tiger. If you want to debug Apple's OS for them, stick with Leopard.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
^
leopard is defiantly not beta!
it is a 1.0

Very stable, but there are always those little bugs!

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
Mine does that too sometimes, when it wakes up from sleep. Not the sleep where the little light "breathes" but the deeper sleep it goes into if you shut the lid with the power cord unplugged.

The keyboard won't respond and sometimes I can just wait it out and the keyboard will start working again, but usually I have to restart.

I'm running Tiger though.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Not to be overly obvious or anything, but that is clearly not the right behaviour for your keyboard, your computer is still under warranty, so why not call apple and get it fixed?

whoathere

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
Rockford, IL
My macbook was a little qwerky when I first got it... Feb 1 07, but it lasted just a couple weeks. Just took some getting use to I suppose. Haven't had a problem since, and no problems at all in Leopard for me.

mikemichael

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2007
Yeah, I figured...

I was going to take it to the apple store to get it checked out by the genius bar anyways.

Last time, I went to them because of a problem with my microphone creating a high pitch sound in the background of my recordings. After thirty minutes of watching them fidget around with my computer with no results, they told me that they couldn't do anything about it because they didn't know the cause of the problem (therefore they couldn't fix it). So I have low expectations right now with them. Instead they told me to go home and try to find out the cause of the problem. O_O Wasn't that the reason why I went to them in the first place???

Anyways, I counted the number of times I have to push on the keys for a response. It takes approximately 45 keystrokes before something appears on the screen.

FAILninja82

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
the middle of nowhere Dx
what on earth have I done?!?!

Right now I am running mac osX 10.5.8 on a 13inch macbook, all of the firmware and other software goodies are updated too [haven't gotten to snow leopard just yet] and i haven't traumatized my computer in any way that i can think of lately....but now all of a sudden the capslock, i, k, p, 6-8 number keys, apostrophe and left/right directional keys no longer function. i, k, and the directional buttons do not respond to ANYTHING, while the other keys cause very unusual character substitutions [ex: the p makes a p; or p0 when pressed]. i have no idea what on earth to do about it and the nearest mac store is four hours away....any kind of help would be greatly appreciated. preemptive thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.