Macbook's power saver mode?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Juan TS, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Juan TS macrumors member

I am a windows user, but as the next Macbook pro comes out I'll get one.

On Windows, as many of you know, there are 3 power plans: High Performance, Balance and Power Saver. And even in Power saver I can only have an hour of battery.

My question is: Do macbook's have these type of plans to? Enabling the 7 battery hours?
    Or it just run always at the same performance when plugged in and when using only battery? I am not refering to "decrease luminosity" or "disable bluetooth".

Thanks! :D

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Ya you just set your behavior when plugged in or on battery

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

No. It switches automatically, you have nothing to fiddle with.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It is basically always the same kind of like the balanced Power plan in Windows. It is just more power optimized than speed optimized thus it is more closely related to the power saving plan in Windows.
    But there is no switch it is like always running the power savings plan in Windows, plugged, unplugged hardly makes a difference.

There is no high performance plan but really you don't need that one. Just check under Windows between balanced and high perf. is practically no noticeable difference. Benchmark numbers are really close.

The reason your notebook only gets you 1h battery life has little to do with the set power saving plan. Switch to balanced and it will be probably almost the same. It is your notebook. If you would buy a decent Windows notebook you can have the same 7h battery life or even a lot more. Same as in Windows it depends a lot on how you use it. Usually the supposed battery life such as the 7h is using the Notebook almost not at all and running little no background apps. Small things like Skype just sitting in the background can reduce battery life by 2h.
    The best possible battery life you will get if you close every app and open a pdf and read it. That is about the lowest workload one can get next to not doing anything at all which would make a notebook useless.

5. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

It's all about how you use it. Listen to music and you'll get 8+ hrs. Watch Flash video and you'll get 2 hrs max. This is on a brand new 15" MBP.