MacBooks Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sioannou, Mar 25, 2010.

1. sioannou macrumors member

sioannou

I am sure that the following question has been asked thousand of times in this forums but taking the opportunity of the upcoming new release of MacBooks Pro i would like to discuss with you some basic issues.

Ok, i have to say that i am not a new entrant in the Apple world , as i already own an old iMac which now is unused.

I was very happy with my iMac and i was using it for a long time but my needs changed and i needed to buy a laptop computer . So i was in a huge dilemma going with a macbook or a pc . In the end , i believe i took the decision and i bought a Sony Vaio Laptop which i used it until now and i have to say i am extremely unhappy with it.

Now , 2 1/2 years after i am against the same dilemma . I searched all the possible options today , and i concluded that the situation for me is the same as before . I use my laptop mainly for common tasks like programming ,watching movies , download some stuff etc but also i am an online games fan and in the past i played wow and now i am devoted to AION. Besides that i want my laptop to be "cariable"

I am of those who believe that there is a gap between Apples series. I mainly looking for the 13" macbook pro which offers me everything i ask from it (in home i will connect an external monitor) . However i am wondering why Apple decided not to offer the possibility of a better graphic card on macbooks 13"? I think this would be reasonable for a lot of people. Sure I think over 1300 Euros it's not an option for me to go with the 15" with the Geforce 9600.

So to conclude my questions are :

1) Do you think Apple has a gap in its laptop series?
    2)Why is doing this?
    3)Hardware issues are the problem?
    4)Do you believe that a Macbook 13" can handle my needs? I really dont need the best rate of FPS i just want Aion to be playable for now and for 1-2 years after.

I would really appreciate it if you could answer my questions, and sorry for the long length of my post.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. Nope. Apple's product line is:
    13" MBP - low-end, no better specs than entry 15"
    15" MBP - mi-level, specs from high-end 13" to 17"
    17" MBP - high-end, specs same as high-end 15" and/or better

2. No space for 9600M GT in 13" and it would be too hot

3. Same as 2.

4. If you're fine with low to mid settings, then it is. 9400M ain't that bad