macbooks sell out?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by FuuFuu, Aug 6, 2008.

1. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

Do the macbooks ever get sold out before the update? i'm kind of worried as i'm planning to buy one before the b2s ends (sept 14) and hope that the new update will come out 14 days after it.

2. jroller macrumors regular

Don't think I can ever recall apple being out of stock, per se; however, the estimated ship dates often get stretched, if you know what I mean.

3. iOrlando macrumors 68000

you should be able to tell that stock is essentially gone...depending on the refresh...if its a major refresh...current mac stock will be almost gone. with shipping times longer then usual. I suspect they will not release 14 days after the promotional..they arn't stupid. Early October remains my estimate.

4. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Just like a clothing store that puts shorts on sale at the end of the summer, Apple runs promotionals before updates. Promos aren't there to do the consumer any favors, its an easy way for a company to clear out some stock and make room for new merchandise.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmmm?

If you're trying to buy and existing macbook, get the iPod at a discount then return the macbook for the new one, it shouldn't work. You'd have to give the iPod back, too.

6. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

I'm not sure. You pay full price for that iPod, then Apple sends you a check in 6-8 weeks for the price of it. They may just not send you that check, instead.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

hmmm?

I've heard that people are getting their checks back in less than ten days if they file online in the Apple Store. Maybe the process service will somehow hold all checks for those purchased around that date until the 14 day return window has expired, and do what you suggested.

I honestly have no idea.

Either way, it's not a good way to get a "free" iPod.

8. visiondancer macrumors newbie

Back in my day, we had to cut out the UPC from the box and mail it in--made it hard to return. Looks like with the online system you don't have to send the UPC if you buy from apple (online or retail). However, they do reserve the right to deny your rebate if you exchange the system for a non qualifying system. Not sure if a system purchased after the promo would be qualifying or not.

www.apple.com/promo to read the full details.