Macbook's silence vs MBP's fans

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by KensaiMage, May 25, 2017.

1. KensaiMage macrumors regular

KensaiMage

Macbook vs Macbook Pro - silence vs fans

How often do fans in macbooks pro strart "yelling"?

I know some people who returned 2016 touch bar macbook pros and bought 12" macbooks just because they say that silence of the machine is priceless.

Well, can you say that your MBP is "calm and silent" most of the time?

If you have a 13 inch do you take it with yourself to bed? (arent you afraid that some dust from pillows etc will get into the fans so the mbp will get hotter easier with time?)

2. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

I've got the maxed out 13 TB and the fans rarely come on even when rendering in final cut.

3. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

The fans are always on in the Pro, but are mostly inaudible in normal use.

4. KensaiMage thread starter macrumors regular

KensaiMage

How about using the MBP when you're in the bed? I mean, aren't you afraid that "some dust" could get inside of your mac?
    --- Post Merged, May 25, 2017 ---
    Well, if you say so, then why people return MBPs claiming that they want to go "fanless"?

5. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

You should probably ask those people.

6. KensaiMage thread starter macrumors regular

KensaiMage

Haha, well, I did so, and they said that the fans were running too often and too loud. They are coders and sometimes they play some old games like diablo 2 or baldur's gate I&II with me :) Sometimes they also design something very simple like business cards or website/2d app graphics.

In other words they say that now they work using 12 inch macbooks, do same stuff just 5% slower and never hear the fans.

7. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

I went the opposite direction, the lack of a fan made my 12" MB slow way down (far more than 5%) as it heated up. The 13" 2016 is a huge improvement in overall performance and capability and I never "hear" the fan running.

8. maerz001 macrumors 6502a

maerz001

9. Treyhunna macrumors regular

Treyhunna

10. Glockworkorange macrumors 65816

Glockworkorange

I have the 13 inch TB model. My usage for this machine is "light" (i.e., Office, web) and I don't believe I've ever heard the fans whirl. And I use Chrome.

11. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

The ONLY time I've heard the fans was when exporting a 4K project In FCPX. Even then the fans weren't even on full and they were extremely quiet. I think Apple has Finally got the thermal profile figured out. Ive yet to see the temps go above 90 even when exporting.

12. robvas macrumors 68030

Very rarely. But when they do fire up, they're crunching on stuff that your MacBook would sit and process for easily 8x longer.