Macbooks Sound Output.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by greenday123, Nov 15, 2007.

1. greenday123 macrumors 6502

Is it normal for the sound jack in my macbook to be emiting a red light? Sorta like a laser pointer.

2. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

NO. try putting a headphone jack in there and then taking it out again. it should work.:cool:

3. greenday123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried that 3 times actually. The red light is still there. What does the red light mean?

4. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

5. greenday123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah the headphones do work, but when they are unplugged the built in speakers dont. Maybe it thinks they are still plugged in?

6. landis macrumors regular

the red light is for use with optical audio with the right adapter. go under system prefs and see if you can switch the sound output to the built in speakers, if not try restarting. mine used to do that while in windows, but it works fine now!

7. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Possibly...time to bring it to the apple store? :eek: If restarting doesn't do anything it is probably something stuck in there.:(

8. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The light is on because the computer thinks you have an optical cable plugged in. That is also why it is not playing sound out through the internal speakers.

If you are in Windows via Boot Camp, you need to go into the audio drivers and disable digital output. If this is Mac OS X, then landis' idea of making sure the sound output is set correctly is your best bet. If that doesn't do it, then off to a repair shop for you!

9. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

There is a switch located in the headphone/optical audio jack that is stuck. I have heard of success using a toothpick to deactivate the switch to put it back to operational. If you feel uncomfortable trying this, then take it to the Genius Bar.

Good luck.