Macbook's SuperDrive as external drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by David3nk0, Sep 1, 2011.

1. David3nk0 macrumors newbie

Hi!

I own a MacBook Pro 13" 2010 and am about to swap the SuperDrive with an SSD. I already have the Optibay case for the Mac's internal HDD, but not for the SuperDrive. What I want to know is, whether I can somehow connect the SuperDrive through the USB port with some sort of opticaldrive-to-usb connector? If not, what sort of technical specifications must I be aware of when buying an external SuperDrive case?
    Since I reside inside the EU, I would appreciate not being linked to US retailers.

Thanks in advance!

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Well, since you not in the US and I am I won't be able to link you directly to a helpful supplier. I can tell you that there are adapters for your superdrive to USB that work well. There are nearly the same price as just buying an external optical drive by itself so it can be hard to justify sometimes. Check OWC for a US based supplier. Maybe that will get you started in hunting down a local source.

3. MacsAreBetter\ macrumors member

MacsAreBetter\

I would seriously suggest OWC; I live in Australia, I assume further away from US than you? Anyway, it's an easy 10-day ship, and we've got crazy custom security here. If not, check eBay for retailers close to you. Good luck, externals are very much worth it!

4. dangerfish macrumors 6502

The MCE Opitbay usually comes with a free usb 2.0 enclosure for you to put your optical drive in. They have resellers in the EU. Perhaps you can call one of them to get the enclosure you need. It does exactly what you want.
    http://www.mcetech.com/wheretobuy.html