MacBooks Thunderbolt and USB port not working at all

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djtooie, Dec 8, 2014.

1. djtooie macrumors newbie

My late 2009 15in Macbook Pro's Thunderbolt port stopped working along with the USB port right next to it. I'm not sure if this happened at the same time. The other USB works. The computer has been dropped. Any ideas on what I should do?

Also, ever since the drop, my fan (I think) is making a very loud clicking noise and the bottom of the computer get's very hot. I've taken the computer into the Apple Store to have the fans cleaned, but that did nothing.
    [​IMG]
    drop damage​

For some reason I'm unable to upload the other photos.

2. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

How frequently does it click?

If they only cleaned out any existing dust, they may not have taken the time to try and see if the fan spins smoothly and quietly. There are replacement fans for purchase, a quick look on ifixit came up with a left fan for your particular model for ~$60. If you aren't comfortable with replacing it yourself, I'm sure a shop would install it for you.

Maybe someone else could confirm this, but if the computer isn't getting rid of the heat like it's supposed to, the components involved with your two ports may have been rendered unusable. If it isn't heat related, they also could've been damaged in the drop. Not sure if there's a cheap and easy fix to getting those working again. Worst case scenario would be a logic board replacement, and those aren't super cheap (assuming the 2.66 GHZ CPU, it is $350). Most likely cheaper than a new laptop, but not close to the fan replacement.

You should at the very least get that fan checked out/replaced. Would you be able to live without the two ports?

3. djtooie thread starter macrumors newbie

Technically yes. I'm a graphic designer though and not using the huge retina display is very inconvenient.

I'm not sure it's heat related but then again, I have no idea. The USB that works looks out of place lol. The whole laptop has just seen better days. As for the click frequency, it click on every rotations. If I had to guess I would say the fan was off kilter from its housing or its bent.

I think if it was a $350 fix, I may just spring for a new laptop. I may fix the fan and just keep it as a backup.

4. s0nicpr0s macrumors regular

s0nicpr0s

The cost of parts is what keeps me from fixing an 08 13" MBP. A couple hundred dollars to replace either the logic board and/or the display just isn't justified given it's age. My 07 iMac works well enough.

Hopefully replacing the fan will be enough to get you buy until you can purchase a new machine.