Macbooks to grey screen and target diskmode is not working.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JamesMacUser, Nov 23, 2009.

1. JamesMacUser macrumors newbie

Rescently I had recently installed some apple updates and the next day my Macbook was having issues with booting. Currently it boots to an all grey screen with a folder and a ? inside the folder. I took it to the Mac store and the guy only looked at my computer for 2 minutes and told me I had a bad HD.

I decided to try and get my friends macbook and attempted to load my HD on his mac via firewire and target disk mode. When I tried this my HD did not show up on his desktop as I thought it would. Im assuming that I have a bad HD now.

The real question is how I might recover the data from that HD. I have read up on the program "diskwarrior" but am unsure how its going to work. I mean how am I going to recover my HD using a program when I cant even get my mac to boot. Please assist if you can, thanks.

2. fluffyx macrumors 6502

If Target Disk Mode won't work, you need professional data recovery.

Software data recovery can recover files from a hard drive in "okay" to "good" mechanical condition. If the hard drive has mechanically or electronically failed, software data recovery programs like Disk Warrior cannot do anything, and may make the problem worse.

On a side note, have you noticed any noises coming from the computer when you turn it on? Try rebooting it and placing your ear to the right palmrest.

The least expensive option I've seen for data recovery is Data Savers in Atlanta, GA (datasaversllc.com). They do a fantastic job, and as a bonus, are Mac-centric as an Apple-Authorized Service Provider.

3. fluffyx macrumors 6502

By the way, the software updates didn't cause your HD to fail.

However, sometimes software updates can be "the straw that breaks the camel's back": a hard drive in poor mechanical condition may give up after a disk-intensive operation like a SW update.