MacBooks will ditch trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bushy162, May 17, 2012.

1. Bushy162 macrumors member

The trackpad on a laptop sucks. Infact, having a mouse sucks. The future in my opinion lies in have touch integrated into the keyboard. Some people have said it won't work because it won't know when you mean to type or mean to move the pointer, but Apple are too clever to let this beat them.

I don't have inside information, I am not a speculator, but I do have insight.

Come on guys, tell me how this idea hangs with you....

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

3. Josh M macrumors newbie

Macs are meant to be intuitive, this seems confusing. Unless you mean something like a touch screen interface like an iPad for a bottom half?

4. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Just what I love- a monitor with fingerprint smears all over. Used to have a boss who would eat buffalo wings and come by pointing out stuff on my monitor by tapping it. I was a very good Windex customer.

I love the trackpad (Magic and MBP.) On Windows laptops I don't find them useful, but on the Mac, I love them because they implemented them well.

Not too anxious to drop the trackpads. The mice? Never use one on a Mac.

5. ppilone macrumors 6502

Am I the only one that loves the MB/MBP trackpad?

6. NewGuyHere macrumors regular

No, you're not alone.

7. blazeken996 macrumors member

8. Takashi macrumors regular

Touchscreens are all right but they are not applicable on all applications. If you have issues using a track-pad then I suggest you seek physical therapy. It's very simple to use.

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

10. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Love it so much I tried to find a windows equivalent until I decided to screw it and buy a Mac Mini instead and RDP into the Windows machine when needed.

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

IBM and others tried that with the eraserhead on the keyboard. It was a pain to use. You still need either trackpad, mouse, or touchscreen.

12. thundersteele macrumors 68030

could work, if they figure out how to make the keyboard/touchpad/touchscreen give feedback in keyboard mode.

Moving the keyboard a bit away from the screen would be useful... but a palm rest is still needed.

13. BeeJee macrumors 6502

14. Niteace macrumors member

def not alone, i prefer it to my magic mouse at this stage even tho thats multi touch aswell..

15. thundersteele macrumors 68030

16. lockerc18 macrumors 6502

I beg to differ. The Trackpoint is a far more intuitive and usable cursor interface than a trackpad. I admit, it does take a little getting used to, and it is an entirely different usability paradigm than a trackpad is. But once you get used to it, you'd never use a trackpad again.

I'd LOVE to see the new MBP have one instead of the trackpad. In fact, for systems which don't have a pointer like a trackpoint, I use a wireless mouse, and I'll be using one on the new MBP. But that's still only second best. The trackpad is third best.

IMHO, anyway.

17. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Nope. It's the best in the business.

18. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Watch out guys, Y'all roasting in a roll bread.

19. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

I actually prefer the trackpad to a conventional mouse. Mind you, I don't game. I'm looking to invest in a magic trackpad.

20. ronjon10 macrumors regular

The Nubbie is the best mouse controller for a pc. I'm not sure why it didn't catch on more, the pc trackpads are universally horrible. Even today, years after apple made a functional trackpad, pcs can't get the trackpad right.

21. Snesley Wipes macrumors regular