Macbooks wont connect to wireless connection

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Faaa6, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Faaa6 macrumors newbie

We have 2 Macbooks at home; a 2.53Ghz Macbook pro and a 2.4GHz Macbook. For some reason they do not connect to our wireless connection at home. If we want to connect we have to do it manually with the ADSL cable.

We have a a LINKSYS WAG325N ADSL 2+ Gateway (located downstairs) and a LINKSYS WAP4400N Access point (located upstairs-closer to our rooms, used to connect through this with our PCs).

The 2.4ghz Macbook connects through the modem (if we move it downstairs closer to the modem) but the 2.53Ghz does not either way.

I get a connection time out alert after I type in the WPA password. The same WPA password is used with the PCs at home and they log on normally.

Help!! :(

P.S. Im a macbook freshie (have had my macbook pro for 3 weeks now) and I'm not so good with networking so bare with me the stupid the questions if they come up and if you can make you explanation as simple as possible.

Cheers

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Mixing brands can cause problems.
    Try setting your routers' wireless to different channels then they are currently at. Certain channels work better than others with Macs.

3. MacMur macrumors regular

I'm not sure what series your router is. B G or N that being said. I had the same problem. I could connect my PC machines but not my Macbook Air or my Macbook. It turned out to be the fact that the Macbooks have the N series wireless and the router, routers we were using couldn't deal with it. We bought a more current router and viola no problem.:) I hope this helps.

UPDATE: Looks like my advice is worthless. Your Linksys unit is a N series device. Sorry to waist your time.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Please read the first post. The model numbers clearly show the routers are N (look at the last letter). Wireless N is FULLY backwards compatible with G, so buying a wireless N router was unnecessary. The reason your network was fixed was because your new router was on a wireless channel that is compatible with Macs.

5. Faaa6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok how do I do that? Im quite slow with networking, I'll really appreciate it if you (or anyone else) can tell me how to change channels please?

6. Faaa6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Its okay :)

Q: If I get one of those apple routers, can PCs normally connect to it? Aand do apple have access point routers too?

7. 1ne macrumors regular

I don't see why not but don't quote me on it. I have a Cisco 4400 Wireless Lan Controller that give me the ability to roam/switch from AP to AP without reconnecting again. Almost all networking equipment is suppose to be industry standards. Nothing against apple, but just because it's apple doesn't mean it will work any better nor will it prevent PC from connecting to it. My best advice, do lots of research. I have been in the networking field a long time and I am old. ;)

8. Faaa6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you :) I'll look around for routers if no one manages to give me a solution to connect to our existing router.

9. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I don't have the router you do, so I can only guess at the instructions, but I do have another Linksys router, so the instructions should be similar.

You will need to login to your router (usually at 192.168.1.1) using whatever username and password you set (default should be blank username with password of admin). There should be a tab on the top called wireless that will bring you to a page of wireless settings. On that page you should see a drop down box titled "wireless channel". Try changing it to different channels and see if that will let you access it on your Macs.

Your router used as an access point will have to be setup separately.

10. Faaa6 thread starter macrumors newbie

I changed it from standard to wide 40Mhz Channel and changed the Wide Channel to 11. Still didn't work :(

How do I configure my access point?! :$ (Im quite lost with networking and configuring routers sorry for the trouble)

11. cube macrumors G5

Depending on what the client devices use, you can set up a base station as:

Mixed a/b/g/n
    Mixed b/g/n
    Mixed g/n
    N-only

etc.

12. Faaa6 thread starter macrumors newbie

^Ok I have nooooooo idea what that is and what it means :p

BUT I think I figured out what the problem is. So this is what I did:

Updated the firmware and disabled the security which made me connect (to the router) but as soon as I walked away from the router and got closer to the access point I lost connection and when I tried to reconnect I had to retype the password (even when its disabled from the router).

So Im guessing the problem is that I need to reconfigure the settings of the access point and make it identical to that of the router. Problem is, HOW?! According to Cisco this is the default address: 192.168.1.245, but that page doesn't open with me :(

Is there any way I can access the access points configuration through the router settings?!

13. neteng101 macrumors 65816

When you move away it seems like you're getting associated to the access point vs. your router... I am going to guess you have the SSID on both exactly the same, but now with authetication (WPA) turned off on the router.

Consumer grade devices don't handle roaming well - depending on what you want to get connected to - the router directly, or the access point - if you want control, then set a different SSID on both the router and AP, and for good measure, give them different WPA passwords.

Under your Mac's wireless icon in the top right, choose Open Network Preferences. Select Advanced from the Airport settings, and delete any existing entries from Preferred Networks. Then just set up *ONE* of the two - either your router or your AP - and then you'll be connected to just that one device.

You can put in both SSIDs if you want, and order them in preference, but you might get associated to the wrong device.

You can also test out connecting to each device by having one SSID at a time, and see if one of the two has an issue.

14. Faaa6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow that sounds like a lot of stuff that I have no idea how to do. Im soo far away from being a networking expert as you can imagine :p but this is what I managed to do: I secured the router, managed to access the AP, disabled the security and both Macs connected. Problem is now that I can't log back to secure it. I get a '401 bad request - cannot use wireless interface to access web'

15. dead goon macrumors member

I had the same problem yesterday, I tried everything, then I remembered that I had set access to only certain network cards, I took that option off, and it's fine now. Check through your router settings to see if there is anything in there you forgot about.

16. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...download or install the linksys easylink advisor and follow the on-screen instructions... its best to plug in your ethernet cable to the laptops and the software should talk to your ethernet and set it up for you...

17. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Let's start over... is the access point wired up to the router via a cable? It sounds like your access point and router are not hooked up, and when you get connected via the access point, you have no Internet connection.

In your old setup, was it like this...

PC <-ethernet-cable-> access point <-wireless-> router/adsl <-phone-cable-> phone-line

18. Faaa6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep thats exactly how its set up now.