MacBool Pro for 3D?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by henkeike, Aug 14, 2014.

1. henkeike macrumors newbie

Hi, im a user of a early 2011 15" mbp, and im working with a lot of 3D constructing programs like inventor, smartplant, pdms and solid works. My windows laptop i used earlier broke down and im going to try and install win 8 on this and try it out. Is there any way i can test my graphic card? It got a ati 6490M (basic 2011) model. Now after the install of win8, the windows update wanna install 7400m graphic drivers? Will this work for my designing? Or should i look for a mbp13 with iris graphic? Any ideas or advices?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The early/late-2011 models of the 15"/17" MBP with Radeon have a manufacturing flaw which causes Radeongate to occur.

The 6490M itself is a pretty weak card, to be honest.

Let Windows install new drivers, however, AMD drivers downloaded from Windows Update will disable changing the screen brightness.

Use the stock Boot Camp 5621 drivers.

If you're looking for a new rMBP, get at least the base 15" with Iris Pro. The regular Iris in the 13" is somewhat underpowered. Better still, the 750M model of the 15" rMBP will do wonders.

3. henkeike thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah ok, i was waiting for the new mbp to be released hoping for a new graphic card but it didnt happen, im hunting for a small laptop with good graphic card, was hoping the 13" would be good. And 15" is too expensive $3500 where i live. How much ram memory should i aim for? Should i wait for the so calles 12" that'll come later? Any recomendations ?

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

For your usage, anything less than a 15" is out of the question. You should have at least an Iris Pro, so I guess you'll have to wait and save up.

By the way, have you considered refurbs? They're really good.

5. KimHansenDK macrumors 6502

But will the Iris Pro actually be that much better when rendering? Don't you need the 650/750M to notice a difference when it comes to rendering? But the quad core may come in handy...

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

Depends on what the app supports.

Generally speaking the Iris Pro is very capable. The 6750M in most 2011s was twice as quick as the 6490M, and the Iris Pro is quicker than the 6750M.

Aside from improved gaming performance, the main trump card of the nVidia 650/750M is CUDA processing for media apps that support it like FCP and Creative Suite.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

In OpenCL, yes, Iris Pro is way better (even better than the 750M).

The 650M/750M Kepler GPUs are way better, however, when it comes to CUDA-accelerated software (like some MATLAB functions) and gaming.