Macbrook Pro Freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by redgunner, Nov 29, 2018.

1. redgunner macrumors newbie

redgunner

Hello,

I purchased a new macbook pro back in 2013 from Apple and has been working perfect up until last week!

It keeps freezing randomly, sometimes on bootup at the login screen and sometimes randomly when watching movies or browsing the web.

Turning it off and on gets it back on but I decided to format it (back to mojave) and unfortunately same thing, it even did it on the install... So I rolled it back to the OS it came with which was mavericks, did it there as well :( I have tried the clear nvram combo and the battery reset combo too but it doesn't do anything.

I formatted it back to mavericks, then updated to high sierra and was fine for a week but its doing it again so I am stuck to what the problem is, do you think it's just given up on me after these last 5 years? Is there anything I can do.

Thank you in advance.

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

It doesn't seem to be a minor issue if it is not affected by nvram resets and OS reinstalls. Are you starting fresh after reinstall or recovering from backup? You might need to start fresh to see if the problem is your machine or something in the software. You can also try making a new user account and spending some time to see if the problem still happens.

if you are in range of an Apple store, they will give you a free diagnosis. But if a fresh install with no recovery from backup doesn't fix it, it's a hardware problem, likely in the logic board.

3. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

or the hard drive.

4. redgunner thread starter macrumors newbie

redgunner

Yeah I have formatted it a few times this week and same thing - If I turn my macbook on and I keep moving the mouse around it will be fine until I stop moving the mouse. What would this indicate?

5. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

If it can't go into idle mode without crashing (and the software is fine) then either the CPU or the logic board cannot handle switching from active to passive mode. You definitely need to get the hardware looked at.

In the unlikely event this is due to a bad drive, you can put macOS on an external drive and boot from it to see if anything improves. It looks like an idling problem, but if you have a spare drive and some time you can run your own test.

6. _Kiki_ macrumors 6502a

7. redgunner thread starter macrumors newbie

redgunner

I have a Macbook pro 13 Retina which is Model A1502 - I have noticed if I start the OS and keep wiggling the mouse it will not freeze but as soon as I give it a few seconds it freezes, I have also managed to load a video from youtube and play it, it works fine until I pause or close the browser window, it just locks up again.

I found a post which is similar to what I am getting - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7625326

8. redgunner thread starter macrumors newbie

redgunner

Update to my problem - I have installed Windows 10 and I have been succesfully ably to use the OS without any freezes or problems, as soon as I install Mavericks again it freezes on the first bootup! unless i keep wiggling my mouse and once i stop it freezes again (same with an external mouse) - I have however upgraded to high sierra from safemode (which works fine!) and it seems to boot fine in high sierra as normal but I done this last week and was fine for a couple of days, the only difference since then as recommended in the apple forum by another user having the problem was to take the bottom off and clean out the dust.

There was a little bit of dust and hairs which I have now removed and gave it bit of a gentle clean around the board, for the most part I don't see any damage, rust or obvious signs of problems.

This is a weird issue and confusing me, but i'll have to report back next week after testing this.

9. redgunner thread starter macrumors newbie

redgunner

I have had it on High Sierra for over a week, it's been okay but it might still be too early to confirm - If it goes well for another week I might try Mojave and see how it goes.

10. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

"I have had it on High Sierra for over a week, it's been okay but it might still be too early to confirm - If it goes well for another week I might try Mojave and see how it goes."

Hmmm....
    You already tried Mojave before and had nothing but problems, right?

My suggestion is:
    Don't try "fixing" what isn't "broken".
    If High Sierra seems smooth and stable, I'd "stick with it" for a good while.

11. IdentityCrisis Suspended

Might want to pop the bottom cover off and blow the laptop out and the fans. It maybe having a cooling issue.