MacDailyNews says "boycott Samsung"

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by smoledman, Jan 7, 2012.

1. smoledman, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012

smoledman macrumors 68000

http://macdailynews.com/?s=boycott+samsung&submit_button=Search

So since Samsung has been proven to have been serially copying Apple's designs for the iPhone and iPad, isn't it a moral imperative to boycott the IP thief?

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Well if you're going to boycott Samsung better throw away or sell that iPhone or iPad or Macbook Air or any memory in your systems that have samsung memory.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sorry, my eyes teared up from laughing so hard after them stating they have millions of readers.

4. smoledman thread starter macrumors 68000

Well they are righteous holders of THE HOLY CAUSE OF STEVE JOBS AnGER.

5. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Wait what? Apple is copying Apple's designs? hmm

And in answer to your question, no its not morally imperative to boycott Samsung, poor little Apple has billions of dollars and plenty of lawyers who will eventually sort out any IP theft problems without some silly website telling its readers what to do. People can think for themselves.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

7. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

I doubt most consumers will care enough to boycott any tech company over patent disputes.

8. smoledman thread starter macrumors 68000

It makes no difference how much money Apple has. IP theft is a moral issues. Even if Apple had a $1 trillion in cash, Samsung the IP thief should be given the corporate death penalty.

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Ditto. iPhone uses Samsung NAND and DRAM and Apple's SoCs are manufactured by Samsung. It's hard to find a tech gadget without any Samsung hardware in it.

10. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Can you not see the contradiction you just made?

First you say it has nothing to do with money and is all about morals.

Then you say because its a moral issue, we should all punish Samsung financially.

How about you and this Mac Daily News site stop trying to infiltrate peoples minds, let them read about the facts of the case and decide where they want to spend their hard earned money for themselves.

11. smoledman thread starter macrumors 68000

Soon enough Apple will design their own NAND & DRAM and be 100% free of Samsung. That's what the purchase of Anobit was about. Apple will do 100% of their own component designs for mobile devices by 2015-2016 and 100% of component design for Macbooks by 2018. They will remain fab-less, but by eliminating the middle-man component designer that will increase their control and profits.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And who but Samsung can manufacture in quantities needed by Apple?

13. *LTD*, Jan 7, 2012

*LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

This is more or less the direction in which the wind is blowing for Apple. Excellent point.

For now, that's the issue.

14. smoledman thread starter macrumors 68000

Apple is on a 5-year plan to phase out Samsung. 20% a year, by 2015 they will be done with the cheating Samsung.

15. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

That's a point I can agree with you on. Consumers don't care about the legal issues, they just want the products.

16. smoledman thread starter macrumors 68000

That's not true, more people then you think do *care* about the morals of the corporations they are buying from. Especially the millennial, they are very radical and activist these days and demand 100% purity.

17. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Then they seem to have forgotten about Samsung (and depending on your perspective, Apple.)

I'm not saying what Samsung is doing is right, but that doesn't seem to be relevant. From their current numbers, it is clear that the exact opposite of a boycott is happening.

The mass market simply isn't interested enough, much less informed enough, to care about these things. You and I probably do, but we hardly reflect Joe Consumer.

Now if you're submitting that the bulk of the market is getting more conscious and concerned about these things, that's possible (I think unlikely), but it is yet to happen and actually bear noticeable fruit.

18. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Well I have to say, I've never met or even heard of anyone who has boycotted a company based on the companies patent disputes

19. jaynone macrumors member

Agreed. I have to deal with a few samsung tv's at work and I'd rather stick a needle in my eye than have to tear them apart to figure out what the hell is wrong with them.... constantly...

20. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

What brand of tv do you find to be the best? Sony?

21. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I don't think I actually own anything that is Samsung. Except the insides of my iPhone. I support MacDailyNews are throwing out all their iOS devices right now.

EDIT: Ah, Samsung's involvement in the iOS devices has already been mentioned.

22. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I'm surprised to hear that. I've had Samsung monitors and TVs (both old and recent) and I've only ever had 1 faulty monitor which they replaced and a TV die as a result of a lightning strike. I always thought Samsung was one of the better companies for displays.

23. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

It seems lots of people agree with you, as Samsung was the best selling TV brand in the US in 2011. That article is dealing with the first half of the year. I haven't seen anything for the second half. I find it interesting, as Vizio was #1 a couple of years ago.

24. Stella, Jan 7, 2012

Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Every company copies each other and draw inspiration.

Apple products look similar to Braun designs from years ago:
    http://m.guardian.co.uk/artanddesig...plebrauniverams?cat=artanddesign&type=article

MacDailyNews like everyone else is entitled to their own opinion but personally 'boycott Samsung' is a bit sad.

I own a few Samsung products - mostly I like. Ironically it's the Samsung ( dumb ) phone is the one product I detest :-D