MacDefender taking on more names of legitimate software packages

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Hugh, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

It looks like there is a new version of the scarewere, and this time they are using legit software names to get the users to install it.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20068726-263.html?tag=cnetRiver

Hugh

PS I'm kinda surprised that this isn't on the front page. :/

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It's happening. Apple needs to admit that OS X can have malware problems too, or lock down OS X like iOS. I know which one I'd prefer them to do.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

They just released a malware removal tool that updates itself daily. How much more "admitting that there's a problem" is needed?

IMO, they need to change Safari so that it doesn't open and launch zip files.

4. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Lock it all down like iOS on iPhones and iPads. Problem solved. And they'll still sell more Macs.

5. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Or at least mention that all it takes is unticking the box in Safari preferences. Firefox has the same feature, it's just off by default.

6. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

OS X does not have malware problems, the problem exists somewhere between the keyboard and chair.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I thought the same, but was to chicken to state it.

I get a password request, every time. :apple:

8. stroked Suspended

stroked

That is one of the reasons I don't own anything iOS.

9. Cybbe macrumors 6502

Semantics. OS X is designed to be used by humans. It should provide mechanisms protecting the end user from such exploits. Installing Mac Defender takes three clicks, no password, and just a normal dose of gullibility. The end user isn't the only problem.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't fully protect against a user's deliberate actions. The problem IS the user. No software can replace the effectiveness of an informed, prudent user.

11. polaris20 macrumors 68020

An interesting option, however I think it should be optional, and it should support different user-approved repositories. For example, I'd like the option to turn off the protection altogether, and also to have it so I could install other repositories. For example, I'd like the Mac App Store, the Amazon Mac Store, and perhaps a work repository, where all in-house developed apps reside.

There is no patch for human stupidity. Malware is a cat and mouse game for OS developers, and there's nothing you can possibly do to prevent a user from installing something. How is the computer to know what's legit and what isn't? It can't.

12. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Since Apple can't solve the problem at its source (there will ALWAYS be stupid people, natural selection doesn't apply anymore :p), they should just remove the auto open functionnality. The main threat here is Safari: it won't happen using Firefox, Chrome, Opera, or any other browser.

13. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I want to be able to install anything I want without too much interference by the OS. They should not start locking things down because some people are uneducated. The current system of giving the user a warning is adequate. Apple will continue to update the warning system as soon as they can.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I completely agree they should change the default selection in Safari, even if they don't remove the option completely. Also as a default, the firewall should be enabled and Java should be disabled, giving more advanced users the option to change things as needed.

15. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Apple never once ever said they cannot have malware problems. Not once. Read that whole thing:
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/security/

+1 I still don't consider this a problem at all. Yes its malware on Mac OS, but only non-savvy computer users would install such a thing. Practice safe computing practices and you are fine from the current threats to MacOS.

16. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I am really surprised at you. Your Pro Apple every thing, but you want them to lock down Mac OS. This doesn't make sense to me. :confused: If they lock every thing down, this will turn off a lot of developers for the plat form. There goes STEAM sense it's not part of the Mac APP Store. It's a competing store, can't have that can we. Only Apple approved APPs and not allowing other programs in unless you jail break the OS. Yeah, that sounds like a lot of fun for the average user, for those that do have a clue know there is an ALL YOU CAN EAT programs out there on the net and easy to get to.

Why have Java turned off. I play POGO games and you have to have JAVA turned on to play the games. Yes I know it POGO eww yuck, they just happen have some net games to play on there. :/

Hugh

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the last part of the Mac Virus/Malware Info link I posted.

18. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Yeah, because iOS never gets hacked. Ever. That's how all those jailbreaks keep getting made, isn't it? It must be the total security the system has. Oh, wait :rolleyes: