MacDock: a minimalist USB 3.0/Mini DisplayPort/Audio powered hub

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pgiguere1, Feb 19, 2013.

1. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I just came across this cool Kickstarter project. It's basically a minimalist docking solution allowing to plug one Mini DisplayPort, 3 x USB 3.0 and a 3.5mm audio cable into a powered hub made out of machined aluminium that connects to your Mac using a single thin ribbon cable.

[​IMG]

Seems like the most elegant solution to date if you don't own a Thunderbolt Display and it's cool that it supports USB 3.0 unlike some other docks that keep getting pushed back.

It doesn't have Thunderbolt though, so you will only be able to output video/audio from a Thunderbolt port, but at least at £57 it's a lot more affordable than Thunderbolt docks.

The model shown is for 13"/15"/17" cMBPs but the company says they plan to make rMBP/MBA versions if the project is successful enough. They suggest backing the project anyway and changing your pledge later on if the project is successful (after which your credit card will be billed). As a rMBP owner that's what I did and hope they reach their goal.

There's also a cheaper £37 "mini" model (pictured below for comparison) but it looks kind of worthless IMO since you only have a single USB 3.0 port and no audio port. It's basically an extension. One might output its audio through mDP and use a separate USB hub though.

[​IMG]

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1710259441/new-macbook-docking-station

2. jiannichan macrumors newbie

Looks like a neat little device. The only issue I have is, they should put the power plug in the back near where the ribbon is as well as the audio perhaps. If I had that, The only thing I would want exposed are the USB ports. Everything else would be routed behind that unit it to keep my desk a bit neater. Since it would only be used as a dock at home/office, it wouldn't go anywhere.

3. dma550 macrumors 6502

Looks nice, there was another plug oriented solution on KS a while ago that didn't get funding, which had one solid plug for the entire left side.

4. SapperProducts macrumors newbie

SapperProducts

It seems like you have misunderstood the final usage of the MacDock, the part where you connect all the peripherals stays in the back and the clean side with the flex cable coming out is the front.

Thanks pgiguere1 for backing us and for the post! We're doing our best to get to our goal ASAP and get your rmDP into production!

Attached Files:

5. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

This is a cool little dock. It is exactly what I need and will definitely get on when it comes out.

6. WoodNUFC macrumors 6502a

WoodNUFC

7. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

This seems cool, but whats the practical usage? What does this do for you/allow you to do that you couldn't already with the MBP?

8. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

They just updated the page the mac dock will also be avalible for the retina Mbp.