MacDrive 7: Best Solution to Shuttle Files?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MrLibraryMan, Oct 25, 2008.

1. MrLibraryMan macrumors newbie

I think MacDrive 7 will be the best solution for me, but I need some clarification first. Every day I backup My Documents (Word, Excel, Photoshop, jpegs) at work (Windows XP environment) on my external hard drive using Microsoft SyncToy. I would like to access my work files from my external hard drive when I bring it home to connect to my Mac computer at home without having compatibility issues, and I would like to update my work computer when I return to the office with any files from the external hard drive that I work on at home. Please tell me if MacDrive is the best product for my purposes.

Also, what is the best way to backup files on my work computer to make them compatible with MacDrive 7? I suspect Microsoft SyncToy won't be compatible with MacDrive to meet my way of shuttling work files from work to home to work again on an external hard drive. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

2. chscag macrumors 68000

I would think the best way to go "both ways" is to use an external drive formatted to FAT-32. Unless you're backing up or copying files that are large (~4 GB) it's much easier that way rather than use "MacDrive 7", or going the other way a program such as "Paragon NTFS".

Remember, OS X can read\write FAT-32 but can only read NTFS. Windows can not read or write to HFS+.

Regards.