MacDrive 8 Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jazwire, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

We have 2 Macs and 3 PCS.
    I am looking to connect my 1.5 TB drive (currently formatted PC NTFS) to my TimeCapsule and use it as a common external drive.

I do not want to format the drive FAT32 because I do not want to be limited to 4GB files. So MacDrive seems like a good way to go about doing what I need to do.

The thing that confuses me is do I need the Mac or PC version of MacDrive or both?

Do I need Macdrive to read the drive, in which case I would think I need the mac version, OR do I need the Windows version to format the external drive.

I would greatly appreciate anyone who can clear this up.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As you can see on the official webpage of MacDrive, there is only a version that runs on Windows (XP, Vista, 7) and which gives you access to HFS+ formatted drives, the file system Mac OS uses and which Windows can't read nor write to.

So in order to use the HDD on Mac OS X and Windows, and use MacDrive as mediator on the Windows side, format the HDD in Mac OS X with the help of Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility with the Format: Mac OS Extended (the name Mac OS X uses for HFS+).

A lot information on that could have been found via MRoogle.