MacDrive 8 Weirdness

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by phaedarus, Mar 24, 2010.

1. phaedarus macrumors regular

Basically, I have a USB drive (Seagate Free Agent) and a Seagate 200 gig HDD.

Originally, these were formatted as OSX extended volumes. When I decided to donate them to another PC, I used MacDrive to access them.

I have since formatted them both as NTFS. After electing to reinstall Windows 7, I found to my surprise that neither drive could be read at all. It wasn't until I installed MacDrive 8 that I was able to read them once again.

Why would drives that have been formatted in a native Windows volume still require MacDrive to just to be able to access them?

Still waiting on support from Mediafour but I'm hoping someone here already has an answer.

Thanks in advance.

2. silencer88 macrumors member

I think the "partition map scheme" on the disks is set to "Apple Partition Map." Thus, only Macs or MacDrive can read this partition map even though the partitions themselves are NTFS.

Plug the drive into a mac. Open disk utility. Click once on the disk, and in the bottom right corner you will see "Partition map scheme."

To fix: repartition with disk utility and use the options menu to change the partition map scheme from Apple Partition Map to GUID or Master Boot Record. Preferably GUID since that's the new standard. Then you can format them as NTFS in windows.

3. phaedarus thread starter macrumors regular

Appreciate the response.

I take it there's no way to fix this on the PC itself?