MacFreePops

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Plusbits, Dec 19, 2008.

1. Plusbits macrumors member

Plusbits

Hey all
    I've been using MacFreePops for some time now, in order to access my Hotmail accounts through Mail. Everything was working fine until the other day, when one of the accounts couldn't connect and I was recieving a message telling me that the server '127.0.0.1' (MacFreePops default server) was rejecting my password. I left it and was planning on trying to ammed it the next day. However, when I came to do this the same thing happened with my other account. I'm completely at a loss. Can anyone please help me, as I've tried a complete re-install and re-add of the accounts, but still nothing! I've also tried resetting the password of both accounts, but it doesn't seem to have worked :(

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Usually this happens when a change on the webmail server side causes a FreePOPs plugin to fail ... it's an annoying feature of Apple's Mail that when there is a failure to connect and retrieve new messages, it automatically assumes there's a problem with your password and prompts you to re-enter it, even if it was not rejected in the first place. It does this for other types of accounts besides FreePOPs ones, but you notice it more for the FreePOPs ones because the plugins get broken by the webmail apps more often.

Basically, if this is the cause, there isn't anything you can do about it until a new plugin comes along, except temporarily use webmail for that mail account (or sometimes, until a temporary change on the webmail side gets changed back, and it just starts working again without a plugin update... this happens also). So you'd just ignore the error in Apple Mail until it starts working again or an update becomes available.

Sometimes you might also benefit from looking at the pre-release / beta / nightly versions of the plugins -- sometimes they already have issues addressed that are hanging you up.

3. Plusbits thread starter macrumors member

Plusbits

Ah, fair enough then. I'll scout around, see if I can find any plugins. If not, I'lll just have to wait it out. Thanks for the fast reply though, I really appreciate it :)

4. rainydays macrumors 6502a

You might also want to switch to a webmail that supports pop3 or imap (like gmail for example).

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No prob -- this behavior of Apple Mail drives me crazy -- it's such an annoying "feature," and yet Apple has hung onto it over many revisions of Mail, so it doesn't appear they are getting rid of it (FWIW my mail at home is all running on Thunderbird in Windows XP/SP3 now, with the Windows version of FreePOPs .... but then the flipside is that searching for mail is so painful in almost every mail app besides Mail.app, in which it's absolutely fabulous...).

6. weckart macrumors 68040

7. Plusbits thread starter macrumors member

Plusbits

Thanks for all your help :)
    I tried HTTP Mail, but couldn't get it to work for me :( And now Mail has stopped working altogether. It won't even get mail from my actual POP account (@btinternet.com). I don't know what else to try :confused: Can I re-install Mail or just delete everything associated with it to completely reset it?