MacFUSE NTFS-3G and Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ryannazaretian, Sep 12, 2009.

1. ryannazaretian macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Anyone have trouble with it? I can't seem to find any information on the compatibility of it. MacFUSE is supposedly rebuilt to be compatible. No info on NTFS-3G.

I ask this because I can't get my Windows NTFS partition to mount anymore.

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I don't understand your question. NTFS-3G includes MacFUSE as an inseparable part.

4. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

They're separable. It just so happens that NTFS-3G includes MacFUSE with it since MacFUSE is needed for NTFS-3G.

NTFS-3G

MacFUSE

Why doesn't my question make sense to begin with. If if they weren't separable, I'm still having trouble with it.

It just won't mount. It says that it cannot be mounted.

5. capflya macrumors newbie

Just curious but did you do a fresh install of windows?

I did a fresh install of bootcamp and windows and when I was installing the OS I deleted the bootcamp partition in the windows setup and made a new one since Apple formats the partition as FAT32 by default.

Apparently what I found out from searching was that if you delete the partition OS X wont recognize it any longer. If you just hit "format" when setting up windows then it should work ok...

If you didn't do a fresh windows install then ignore this :D

6. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

Yep, I did a fresh install. I just hit format like Apple instructs you to do. Not sure why it's failing to mount. Here's the error message:
    ntfs-3g-failed to mount.png

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you install the latest version of NTFS-3G, then you install the embedded version of MacFUSE with it. Sure you can install the standalone version of MacFUSE, but it is not necessary.

8. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

9. capflya macrumors newbie

10. ryannazaretian thread starter macrumors 6502a

ryannazaretian

11. vincechan06 macrumors newbie

There were some discussions on this method over at InsanelyMac on whether this method is stable or not. I've personally tried it and have encountered problem and have to disable it.

For those who couldn't get MacFuse to work, maybe that's because of 32bit vs 64bit issue. Try the MacFuse from this post which was compiled for 64bit. It works on my System without issue. So far...

12. Data macrumors 6502

I'm tryoing to run the uninstall script within ntfs-39 but i get an error every time so i can't get writ of it, any body any idea how to get it uninstalled other then the build in script ?

This is the error message i get:

ERROR(Non-zero exit value: 101)

I bought the para ntfs driver but my mac is still using the ntfs-3g one, so i realy need it to be uninstalled.

I'm running the latest version of snowleopard btw.

Any help is apriciated ;-).

13. ivnj macrumors 65816

WOW, neat. But I already installed macfuse and ntfs3g on leopard. Then after upgrading not clean install (yes upgrade) it still works fine no issues.

14. Data macrumors 6502

How do i uninstall ?

I still cant get it to un-install and because of this my paradig ntfs plug in doe not work , so i really need it to disapear from my drive.

I'm willing even to do a clean install of my complete system and then put back via time machine, but i'm not sure what to not put back from the backup in order to get everything back except for the NTFS-3g in the system prefs.

Id rather hear of a way to delete it manually of course that would be a lot less work.

Please help ;-).

15. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Late post, I know, but I noticed that NTFS-3G uninstalled just fine when System Preferences was in 32-bit mode. Just go into some other preference pane (such as MacFUSE). Then go back to the NTFS-3G preference pane and try uninstalling. It should uninstall just fine.

16. sanonymous macrumors newbie

ntfs 3g problem

i have installed macfuse as well as ntfs 3g..whenever i try to mount my hard drive..it says error
    /Library/Filesystems/fusefs.fs/Support/fusefs.kext failed to load - (libkern/kext) link error; check the system /kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8). the macFuse file system is not available (71)
    wat does this even mean?? what do i do?

17. sanonymous macrumors newbie

i have the same error...did u solve it by any chance?

18. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you had bothered to read my previous post, then you would know that MacFUSE is a part of NTFS-3G. You now have two different versions of MacFUSE installed. Perhaps, they are in conflict. Uninstall your copy of MacFUSE.